cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hesspe
Community Champion

Peer Reviews with Rubrics marked done even if the rubric is incomplete

I submitted a ticket on using peer reviews with rubrics, and Support says they can't replicate the behavior I reported, and yet for me it seems completely consistent in my testing.  I'm wondering if anyone else can confirm, contradict, or comment on the following:

When a peer review has a rubric attached, if the reviewer provides any input into the rubric, even a single rating for a single criterion, the Peer Review is marked as completed in both the Student and the Instructor interface.

According a message you see in Canvas when setting up a peer review, "Student peer reviews will be considered complete when students have commented at least once on the page and filled out the rubric form for the assignment."

It's not the most major bug (if it is a bug), but it's frustrating that it seems consistent to me and support sees different behavior.

Thanks!

7 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hesspe 

It sounds to me like it is expected behavior, even if it is not the behavior we would expect. I don't have any peer review projects in any of my courses, so I am going to have to fake it in my sandbox.

I'll be back!

KLM

kblack
Community Champion

@kmeeusen ‌ - I don't want to step on your toes here, so please do continue to check if you're seeing this, as well.  I started creating a peer review assignment in a practice course yesterday after reading Peter's question, and then saw your reply afterward I created it.  But since I set it with a due date of this morning, I went back today to sample things, and here's my own observation:  if indeed the student clicks the Save Comment button at the bottom of an uncompleted rubric, as Kelley indicated indeed Canvas will consider it completed.  But I could not replicate this behavior if the student never bothered clicking the Save Comment button below the rubric.

For what it's worth (and  @hesspe ‌, feel free to sent this URL to bolster your claims if it replicates what you are seeing), here is quick video that shows (first) the student submitting a peer review with a partially filled out rubric, and then what the instructor sees:  Unfilled Rubric on Peer Review - YouTube  .

Hey, thanks  @kblack 

I got too busy yesterday, and didn't get a chance to test.

KLM

hesspe
Community Champion

Thank you  @kblack ‌ for your thorough testing.  I've uploaded a screen capture of the rubric that prompted this inquiry (figure 1.), to illustrate why a student peer reviewer might not complete her ratings all in one sitting.  If the peer reviewer wants to save her ratings, she has to click the  Save Comment button (Figure 2.) or all her ratings will be lost.  As soon as she clicks the Save comment button, the Peer Review is marked as complete, even if there is only one category that has been rated.  Does that correspond to your findings as well?

Figure 1.

222648_Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.27.19 PM.png

Figure 2.

a222656_Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.31.44 PM.png

kblack
Community Champion

Yes, sir!  In my video (which is silent, by the way), the student only completed the first row of a two-row rubric and clicked SAVE COMMENT.  Now, what you do not say in your question--and what I observed as the instructor--is that when the instructor views the rubric, there is a NaN in the column that would ordinarily contain a number for a rating for that criteria.  But the bottom line is that a student is able to "complete" the assignment even if only completing one single row of a rubric.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @hesspe ‌...

While I don't have an answer for you myself, I thought I would check in with you because it's been over a month since there's been any new activity in this discussion topic.  Have you had a chance to review all the postings above?  Did any of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking help with your original question?  If you feel that one of the above responses is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  However, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please come back here to post an update so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  For now, because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over a month, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional comments or questions related to this question below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Peter!

lsteiner2
Community Member

I am currently experiencing the same challenges with our students attempting to continue working on a peer review that was saved but Canvas does not grant access as it considers it complete, is there are workaround? #grading in canvas