Pending students not showing for teachers

Jump to solution
JoshAllenCC
Community Explorer

While we sync most students from our SIS (Anthology), inevitably there are a few students who need to be added manually for one reason or another. They show up as "pending" because they don't have access to Canvas right now. We have had a couple faculty in the last few days who said they don't see those students in their roster but I can see them as the admin and when I masquerade as the faculty. Yesterday after masquerading, the faculty was able to see them. Anyone else ran into this or have ideas why they wouldn't see "pending" students? 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
NoahBoswell
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JoshAllenCC ,
To my knowledge, this hasn't really been a big issue.

However, something that comes to mind is that there could be something with the syncing with your student information system to Canvas. It's not that its necessarily broken, it's just how the users are added. I have absolutely no idea how Anthology works, as our school uses PowerSchool SIS, however, if that's a software where teachers can put in students grades, and things like that for their classes (I'm assuming that's what it is), and if the students are automatically synced into the course and are not added by the teacher manually, then the teacher won't necessarily see that pending student right away. With our institution, we have PowerSchool set to re-sync everything overnight, so if a schedule is changed for a student or something, they are automatically enrolled in the course associated with that class, and removed from the other one.

Since you are an admin, you generally have access to more back-end things than the teacher would. That said, you could likely see that a student's enrollment is currently pending in the class, as Anthology is currently working on syncing that enrollment, however the teacher may not see it until later. Again, that's likely just how it's set up.

That's what I think is going on, I hope that helps a little bit.

Best,
Noah

View solution in original post