cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnesbitt
Community Participant

Possible to show a doc. but prevent downloading

Jump to solution

Can you think of a way I can post a document in my Canvas course, so my students can see it but not download it?  I could do Word, Adobe, or a screen shot.

Situation:  I have some marked-up papers from previous students’ papers (anonymous) that I would like them to see for reference, but not download.  I gave them hard copies in class and collected them back, but I know several people would like to look at them more closely.

Would it work in Google Drive if I just shared, but no editing privileges?

Thanks,

Laurie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@lnesbitt , you can embed a Google Doc in a Canvas page so effectively that students won't even realize it's an embedded document! For more guidance on how to do this, check out https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva...‌.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @lnesbitt ‌ - I remember that this was asked a few times in the past in the Community, so I put my former librarian skills to work to find a few of them.  The most fruitful discussion is likely to be found in this thread--be sure to scroll down and read all of the various suggestions:  Restricting file downloads .  (I have not tried these, so I cannot speak authoritatively regarding them.)  Other discussions in the past include:

Hope these links help you a bit!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@lnesbitt , you can embed a Google Doc in a Canvas page so effectively that students won't even realize it's an embedded document! For more guidance on how to do this, check out https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva...‌.

View solution in original post

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lnesbitt   ~ It's been a few weeks since we've heard from you, and I wanted to see how your project progressed. Did the suggestions/resources from  @kblack or stefaniesanders help you arrive at a solution? If you could, please take a few minutes to update the Community! I'm sure others would value the insight and the documentation of your process.

lnesbitt
Community Participant

Posting in Google and adjusting settings to prevent download worked great. Thank you!

Laurie

dwillmore
Community Champion

Not to rain on the parade, but you can prevent a download of a file but not prevent the taking of the content of the file if it can be read.  The cell phone camera is the simplest device used to capture content that you do not want in student's hands.

lnesbitt
Community Participant

Yup, I know that, and a few of them took fotos in class too. However, in this case it wasn’t a big deal. I had already made the work I was sharing anonymous; I was just taking extra precautions. If the students chose to copy the work, they would get nabbed by Turn-it-in.

dwillmore
Community Champion

Nice work Laurie.  I think the bottom line is a student can cheat anywhere and any mode if they try hard enough.  If only students put that time and intellect into their studies.