Pre-recording lectures?

Jump to solution
mlee11
Community Novice

i want to pre-record parts of lectures to post on Canvas.   The recording would be a series of Powerpoint slides with my voice to guide the listener to the main points. 

Also, I would like to have a 'whiteboard' so I may illustrate ways to answer questions to problems/questions/ homework.

So, what is the recommended software?

what are the recommended procedures for producing and posting such files so that students may review them?

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Michael,

You could do this right in Powerpoint.  Check the link below about how to make a recording; you should be able to add a blank slide and draw on it too with recording.  Record a slide show with narration and slide timings - Office Support 

After making the narrated powerpoint do NOT post that file.  Instead export it in MP4 format. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-your-presentation-into-a-video-c140551f-cb37-4818-b5... I usually suggest using one of the middle options for quality.

Lastly, upload the mp4 video file through the Rich Content Editor (not just a file upload).  Two guides are below depending on which version of the Rich Content Editor you are using.

How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?  

How do I upload and embed a media file from my computer in the New Rich Content Editor as an instruc... 

If you want to go the actual screen recording movie route there are many options, some free and some not.  Over the years I've found Tech Smith's Camtasia to be pretty good.Camtasia: Screen Recorder & Video Editor (Free Trial) | TechSmith 

They have a free trial you can use to check it out and an educational license is $169.  I'm sure there are some other free options (screencast o matic?) so perhaps others will post additional suggestions.  

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Likes