Pre-survey as a prerequisite for module 1

Jump to solution
Essabbb
Community Explorer

Hi

I'm working on a study that students need to complete the pre-survey before starting module 1. I made the survey using Qualtrics and I made a module in canvas called the pre-survey module. I added the external survey link in this pre-survey module and made it in the requirement (view the item). In module 1, I did a prerequisite to complete the pre-survey module for module 1.

The issue is that students can click on the survey link and Module 1 will open without completing the survey. Anyone has an idea or suggestion.

Thanks

Essa 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Essabbb ...

Do you mean that you set a requirement for the module instead of a prerequisite?  When you set prerequisites, you can only choose a module name...whereas with requirements, you can choose items from Pages, Discussions, Assignments, or Quizzes.  However, since you indicated that you were having your students complete a survey using Qualtrics, I am not sure any of this would work exactly the way you want.  If you set a requirement on a module that students have to complete the Qualtrics survey, I'm not 100% sure that Canvas would "know" the survey was completed because Qualtrics is a third-party integration.  (Please also know I've never used the Qualtrics integration, so this is all speculation on my part.)  When you set up requirements in Canvas for things like assignments and quizzes, you are telling Canvas to check if something is viewed, submitted, etc.  So, I don't know that Canvas would detect that a Qualtrics survey was submitted...since it's a third-party integration.  I'm not sure if Qualtrics is able to pass any information from that platform back to Canvas (such as a score to the Gradebook?), so that's maybe the only way I could think this *might* be possible...but again, this is all a large guess on my part...and I'd be more than happy to be wrong!

Anyway...just thought I'd share my $0.02 ... for what it's worth.  Hope this might help a bit.

View solution in original post

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@Essabbb 

What @Chris_Hofer said pretty much sums it up.  You put in as a requirement for the survey that the students view it - so all they have to do is open the survey(or click on that link) and that satisfies the criteria for the module and therefore module 1 is accessible.

What you need in your pre-check module is for them to submit the assignment or score x out of y on the item.  Now as Chris mentioned I do not know if that is possible with the qualtrics survey.  without setting up what you are doing, I cannot offer any help on how to get a graded qualtrics survey to be understood by canvas so that you can get the control you want. 

I have a possible idea, but it may not work.  Can you have an assignment that automatically receives the grade from a qualtrics survey?  if so, then you can put that assignment in the pre-check module with the requirement that a certain grade has to be made.  then you keep the qualtrics link and add in the assignment.

Without knowing what the survey actually is, the other alternative is to make a Canvas quiz and then you will have no issues with what you are trying to do.

Essabbb
Community Explorer
Author

Thanks for your comments. Both of you @Chris_Hofer and @Ron_Bowman are right. The only possible way is to use Drieam’s Qualtrics LTI for Canvas which allows passing back to Canvas. Unfortunately, it is not free.