cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgiovannetti762
Community Participant

Profile Pictures showing sideways

Jump to solution

I have noticed that some of my students profile pictures are showing up sideways and now it is happening to me.The picture I selected shows up sideways in the profile and I can't find a way to rotate it. It is not rotated when I look at it before I upload it. Any clue what is going on?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

rgiovannetti762​...

This is a quirk in Windows that I've not been able to solve.  I'll give you an example from some volunteer work that I do at my church.  I help with our video/sound team, and I also build slides using software called ProPresenter.  Sometimes I need to take photos that are used in the slides, and I normally use the camera on my iPhone.  When I take the photos, I obviously take them either portrait or landscape view.  If I download them to the computer, there are times when I'll have to rotate the landscape pictures 90 degress within Windows explorer so I'm not having to tilt my head to see the photo.  All is fine, right?  Well, when I insert the photo into the ProPresenter software, you'd think the photo should appear correctly, but it doesn't.  It's somehow turned itself back 90 degrees.  So, what I've had to manually do is open up the Paint program within Windows, rotate the image 90 degrees within the program, and then save it.  Then it appears correctly in ProPresenter.

So, I suspect that something similar is going on here with student photos as well.  They would need to use an image editor on their computer to "right" their photo.  I don't know of any way through the current user interface to make this correction.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

rgiovannetti762​...

This is a quirk in Windows that I've not been able to solve.  I'll give you an example from some volunteer work that I do at my church.  I help with our video/sound team, and I also build slides using software called ProPresenter.  Sometimes I need to take photos that are used in the slides, and I normally use the camera on my iPhone.  When I take the photos, I obviously take them either portrait or landscape view.  If I download them to the computer, there are times when I'll have to rotate the landscape pictures 90 degress within Windows explorer so I'm not having to tilt my head to see the photo.  All is fine, right?  Well, when I insert the photo into the ProPresenter software, you'd think the photo should appear correctly, but it doesn't.  It's somehow turned itself back 90 degrees.  So, what I've had to manually do is open up the Paint program within Windows, rotate the image 90 degrees within the program, and then save it.  Then it appears correctly in ProPresenter.

So, I suspect that something similar is going on here with student photos as well.  They would need to use an image editor on their computer to "right" their photo.  I don't know of any way through the current user interface to make this correction.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

rgiovannetti762
Community Participant

After a little searching I did find this interesting article:

EXIF. Exchangeable Image File Format  http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?713

This may be the culprit, but I would think this would be all over the place and I had to dig for this.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

rgiovannetti762, this very thing happened to me just yesterday, not in Canvas. I took a selfie with my iPhone in portrait mode and wanted to upload it to one of my desktop applications. However, when I transferred it from the iPhone to my desktop and opened it in an image viewer--whoops, it was rotated 90 degrees! So I launched photo editing software and opened the photo file, only to find that in the photo editing software, the photo displayed correctly: there was nothing to flip. And when I uploaded it to the desktop application, it portrayed correctly in portrait mode.

A feature idea to remedy this unpredictable quirk was submitted and open for voting in an earlier voting period. It's now archived, but if you'd like to resubmit it to see if it gains more traction in an upcoming voting period, here's the link:

arovner
Community Contributor

Thanks stefaniesanders​ and  @chofer ​ for answers and Reno for asking the question!  I had noticed that a number of my students' profile images were sideways but I just figured they did that intentionally!  LOL  However, I just had a faculty member come in to eLearning to ask this very question and now I have an answer for her! 

Amy

gracemarieknopp
Community Member

I had this same problem. I just went in and slightly edited the picture on my computer and saved that version. I re-uploaded the edited picture, and it is no longer rotated.