cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mweilan
Community Participant

QTI import as new quizzes?

Jump to solution

My QTI files are now ONLY importing to New Quizzes.  This is not something we need right now, and a choice should be given on where to import - Classic or New Quizzes. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
helfco
Community Participant

We're seeing the same issue at our institution.

The "New Quizzes Importing" feature has been enabled (at the account level not the course level), but "New Quizzes" has not been enabled. I think this discrepancy is what is causing QTI import issues.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.23.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.27.22 PM.png

Instructors don't have access to turn off "New Quizzes Importing" so they would need to reach out to the Admin to disable "New Questions Importing."

*UPDATE* Our college admin disabled "New Questions Importing" and the QTI imports are now working without any issues.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @mweilan 

Yes, an option is offered, and here is a screenshot for the guide How do I import Quizzes from QTI packages?

kmeeusen_0-1616348954801.png

Apparently, the secret is to disable New Quizzes before import.

Good luck,

Kelley

Tags (2)
mweilan
Community Participant

Thank you.  It is greyed out for us...

mweilan_0-1616349396849.png

PamelaSchembri
Community Member

Hello,

In our situation, we have the New Quizzes disabled, but the teacher is trying to import QTI quiz packages from Problem-Attic. This has worked easily - and for years, but this week we are getting an error message. It has happened to multiple teachers:

We have "issues" with the QTI import, 

See here: dis-quiz.JPG 

and this message in the settings page "Import content"

issues.JPG

So, it is not a "New" quiz, but also it is not importing. When I try to open it as a quiz, it simply crashes and looks like this:

problem.JPG

Is anyone seeing something I might be missing? I'm about to try it in another browser. This is on Chrome.

Thanks.

sylvia_sotomayo
Community Participant

It is greyed out for us, too, and New Quizzes is not on as a feature.

helfco
Community Participant

We're seeing the same issue at our institution.

The "New Quizzes Importing" feature has been enabled (at the account level not the course level), but "New Quizzes" has not been enabled. I think this discrepancy is what is causing QTI import issues.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.23.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 3.27.22 PM.png

Instructors don't have access to turn off "New Quizzes Importing" so they would need to reach out to the Admin to disable "New Questions Importing."

*UPDATE* Our college admin disabled "New Questions Importing" and the QTI imports are now working without any issues.

View solution in original post

helfco
Community Participant

As this issue is happening at multiple institutions I'm thinking that the enabling of "New Quizzes Importing" was part of an update and not something the institutions manually turned on. It wouldn't make sense to have "New Quizzes Importing" turned on and "New Quizzes" disabled, but that seems to be the case with those posting in this thread.

Same! Our district admin disabled it at the upper level, and everything was fixed. All QTI packages now import as usual.

I agree, it was probably part of an update, because I don't think anyone manually turned "on" the new quiz import feature.

Thanks!

myerdon01
Community Champion

Same issues at our institution, but I don't want to turn off the New Quizzing Importing in case someone is using it, but turning it off did fix an immediate issue. Where is the ability to turn off "New Questions Importing"? I only see the QUIZ importing option.

I have reported this to support and this was the response:

Are you following this guide?

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-import-quizzes-from-QTI-packages/ta-p/1...

Please make sure your browser is up to date. Then try clearing your cache and cookies, using an incognito window, and/or using another browser and try again.  I recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.You can view our guide on clearing your browser's cache and cookies here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10707-67952720331

If those steps do not resolve your issue, please provide us with a detailed walkthrough of your steps, course/page/link names, screenshots/screencast of what you are seeing, and especially URLs to the pages you are inquiring about, we would love to assist you further.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any further questions!

I have sent the same detailed screenshots you have provided above, but still no word back from support. ☹️

sylvia_sotomayo
Community Participant

We were reluctant to turn off New Quizzes Importing as we are part of a multi-school district and this is a root level account feature.

Our immediate need was to be able to uncheck the 

• Import assessment content as New Quizzes 

checkbox when importing a QTI zip file. I asked Canvas Support again yesterday, and this time they had a workaround for us: enable New Quizzes at the Course level. This was something I could do just in the affected courses. What this did:

• When creating a quiz manually, you will have the option of using New Quizzes or Classic Quizzes. Choose Classic Quizzes to create a classic quiz.
  • When importing a QTI file, the checkbox “Import assessment content as New Quizzes“ will be available to be UNchecked. Make sure to uncheck this before any imports.

Despite the counter-intuitiveness of enabling New Quizzes to prevent New Quizzes being created upon import, this works, and it does not require turning off an account-level feature.