cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwilshus
Community Participant

Question Feedback not visible to Student

Jump to solution

A faculty member created a quiz that has specific feedback for each question and answer. The quiz is to be used to study for the exam. When the student views the quiz results, they only see the notation that the answer is correct. In setting it is set to see quiz results and correct answers after the quiz is closed. How does the student see the feedback, that the instructor has provided?254636_quiz_feedback.png254637_quiz_settings.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cwilshus
Community Participant

Thank you for checking back Chris. Yes with some work with a couple faculty members, trail and error, and discussion with support we were able to identify the issue and a work around. I think this should be something considered as a feature update to ensure more control over the feedback options with true delayed feedback.

First Canvas quizzes are set up to display the feedback to students if the check box is marked, however when the option to show correct answers on a specific data and time shows the student which questions were incorrect, and then identified the specific feedback, which could be used to identify the correct answer before the quiz is closed. In order to truly enable the delayed feedback it must be done manually. Canvas does not have a delayed feedback option, but it should be considered.

In this case for my faculty, they would like the students to view their responses, and then after the exam closes they can view the correct answer and associated feedback. The only way to accomplish this goal is to ensure that the feedback is entered when the quiz is created. If the feedback is entered after the quiz has been taken, it will never display to the students. Then the faculty member must make sure they do not enable the check box to show the correct answer to ensure that students don't see the feedback until after the quiz closes. Moreover, the faculty member must return to the quiz settings after the quiz is closed and then click the check box to enable the show correct answers and feedback option. Here is a document with the screen shots of the various options and the outcomes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cwilshus ‌, thank you for providing the screen shots. In this example they make all the difference! The issue is that the Instructor put the feedback in the red incorrect answer feedback box. This means the only students that will see the feedback are students who get the answer wrong. Putting in the GREEN box will provide it to students who get the answer correct and the BLUE box will provide it to all students regardless of whether they got the answer correct or not. In this case it sounds like the Instructor would want to use the blue box for feedback. 

Hope this helps!

cwilshus
Community Participant

Thank you for the response Kona. However the instructor has put the feedback in for each of the possible answers (correct and incorrect). She also has tried putting it in the general feedback (green, red and blue). However when the student clicks to view all they see is the last image (upper right corner) "Correct" or "Incorrect" with no explanation!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's super strange. I'd report this to Canvas Support and see if they can help figure out what's going on!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @cwilshus ...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question and saw that there hasn't been any new activity in it since  @kona ' reply on October 2, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to reach out to the Canvas Support folks to see if they might be able to help you troubleshoot this issue further?  If so, what was the outcome of that conversation?  Would you be willing to share that back here in this topic with us?  Or, if you are still looking for some help with this issue, please let us know that as well by posting a message below.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you in a few months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for a while.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Cynthia.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

cwilshus
Community Participant

Thank you for checking back Chris. Yes with some work with a couple faculty members, trail and error, and discussion with support we were able to identify the issue and a work around. I think this should be something considered as a feature update to ensure more control over the feedback options with true delayed feedback.

First Canvas quizzes are set up to display the feedback to students if the check box is marked, however when the option to show correct answers on a specific data and time shows the student which questions were incorrect, and then identified the specific feedback, which could be used to identify the correct answer before the quiz is closed. In order to truly enable the delayed feedback it must be done manually. Canvas does not have a delayed feedback option, but it should be considered.

In this case for my faculty, they would like the students to view their responses, and then after the exam closes they can view the correct answer and associated feedback. The only way to accomplish this goal is to ensure that the feedback is entered when the quiz is created. If the feedback is entered after the quiz has been taken, it will never display to the students. Then the faculty member must make sure they do not enable the check box to show the correct answer to ensure that students don't see the feedback until after the quiz closes. Moreover, the faculty member must return to the quiz settings after the quiz is closed and then click the check box to enable the show correct answers and feedback option. Here is a document with the screen shots of the various options and the outcomes.

View solution in original post

Thanks for coming back to provide us with an update,  @cwilshus  Thank You!  You might want to consider making a new Feature Idea via this link: https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas (click the SHARE NEW IDEA button on the right side of the screen).  But, you should first search to make sure an existing idea doesn't already exist before creating a new one...to avoid duplication of ideas and dilution of votes.  Thanks again!