cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHEBENE
Community Champion

Quiz branching options

Jump to solution

I seem to recall, probably before we moved to the canvaslms community, someone posted how to use a quiz to set a goal and it the student didn't meet the goal they were pushed into remedial content and then a retake of the quiz. If they pass the quizzes point goal (whether the first or second time) they move on in the module. I haven't been able to find that info through searching. Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

SHEBENE​, I did some thinking and playing around and the only thing I came up with isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but should work.

Directions:

1. Create the module and add the initial quiz (only 1 attempt allowed) followed by the remediation content and retake quiz; consider adding a header or something between initial quiz and remedial stuff to make it clear which is which to students. Make sure to fully explain to students (in both quiz directions) that they don't need to go through the remediation content or take the retake quiz if they score high enough on the initial quiz. You might also want to stagger the due dates so the initial quiz is due before the retake quiz opens.

2. In Module settings check the box that "Students must complete one of these requirements" and then add the requirement that students must score at least X on the initial quiz and then the desired requirement for the retake quiz (this could be for them to have either just submitted it or scored a specific score - it's your call, you might consider making it so they can't move on until they score high enough on the re-take quiz). [Important note here: this won't work if you have any other requirements for the Module.]

3. Create the next Module - so the next set of content in the course - and in Module settings set the prerequisite as the Module with the initial and re-take quiz. What this will do is only allow students who have EITHER completed the initial quiz with a certain score OR completed the re-take quiz with [what ever you created as the requirement] to access the Module. So, if student A passes with a high enough score on the initial quiz they are able to access the next Module with no problem. If student B doesn't pass the initial quiz with a high enough score then they can't access the next Module until they meet whatever requirement you set forth for the re-take quiz.

So, not perfect, but maybe something you could consider?

Also, in searching around the community I found the following feature ideas that have some interesting discussion - &

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
qstarks
Community Participant

Hi SHEBENE​,

Have you looked into assigning outcomes to the quiz? How do I align an Outcome with a Question Bank?

I'm not sure about automatically pushing a student into remedial content, but it does allow for tracking mastery and records the number of attempts it took for a student to achieve mastery.  In terms of moving onto other content or into another module you could add requirements to the module.  How do I add requirements to a Module?

Hope this helps a little bit.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

SHEBENE​, I did some thinking and playing around and the only thing I came up with isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but should work.

Directions:

1. Create the module and add the initial quiz (only 1 attempt allowed) followed by the remediation content and retake quiz; consider adding a header or something between initial quiz and remedial stuff to make it clear which is which to students. Make sure to fully explain to students (in both quiz directions) that they don't need to go through the remediation content or take the retake quiz if they score high enough on the initial quiz. You might also want to stagger the due dates so the initial quiz is due before the retake quiz opens.

2. In Module settings check the box that "Students must complete one of these requirements" and then add the requirement that students must score at least X on the initial quiz and then the desired requirement for the retake quiz (this could be for them to have either just submitted it or scored a specific score - it's your call, you might consider making it so they can't move on until they score high enough on the re-take quiz). [Important note here: this won't work if you have any other requirements for the Module.]

3. Create the next Module - so the next set of content in the course - and in Module settings set the prerequisite as the Module with the initial and re-take quiz. What this will do is only allow students who have EITHER completed the initial quiz with a certain score OR completed the re-take quiz with [what ever you created as the requirement] to access the Module. So, if student A passes with a high enough score on the initial quiz they are able to access the next Module with no problem. If student B doesn't pass the initial quiz with a high enough score then they can't access the next Module until they meet whatever requirement you set forth for the re-take quiz.

So, not perfect, but maybe something you could consider?

Also, in searching around the community I found the following feature ideas that have some interesting discussion - &

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

SHEBENE
Community Champion

Thank you both for considering my dilemma. I think that will help.