cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thorine
Community Member

Read Access to Quiz after Due/Until Dates

Jump to solution

Suppose I have a quiz, built with New Quizzes, that is open from the beginning of the course and due Feb 28. Students can try the quiz as many times as they want. If I set an Until date of Feb 28, they cannot submit past that date, but it also seems like they cannot see the content of the quiz either. 

I would like the following behaviour.

Set a due date. Set a no-more-submissions date (which could be later).

Until that date, students can try the quiz as often as they like (read and write access).

After that date, allow students to see their questions/responses (read access only).

My idea was to originally NOT show them correct answers in their quiz, since they can redo it, but change this behavior AFTER the no-more-submissions date, so that they could then (without the ability of changing their answers) see why they missed what they did.

Is this possible in Canvas? (with either new or old quizzes, but preferably new)

Edit for clarification: The switching of "correct answers not shown" to "correct answers shown" is one I am willing to do manually. I am asking specifically about the access issue. (Thanks!)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bowmanr
Community Champion

@thorine 

below is for classic quizzes.  I imagine it is the same in new quizzes(as far as functionality goes)

I think you have your answer in your question.  I do exactly what your last sentence says.  I release the answers after the until date.  The students can then see the quiz, their answers and the correct answers.

Like you said, just wait until after the until date and release the answers

before until date settings are

bowmanr_0-1615909414220.png

after the until date:

bowmanr_1-1615909448643.png

you can then set a time and date for when they have access to that information (if you want)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bowmanr
Community Champion

@thorine 

below is for classic quizzes.  I imagine it is the same in new quizzes(as far as functionality goes)

I think you have your answer in your question.  I do exactly what your last sentence says.  I release the answers after the until date.  The students can then see the quiz, their answers and the correct answers.

Like you said, just wait until after the until date and release the answers

before until date settings are

bowmanr_0-1615909414220.png

after the until date:

bowmanr_1-1615909448643.png

you can then set a time and date for when they have access to that information (if you want)

thorine
Community Member

When I tried this the other day and entered student view, the student could not "see" the content of the past-due quiz. As a result, I assumed that "closing" the assignment with an Until date locked all the content from students.

Reading your comment gave me an idea. I re-opened the quiz, then completed it as Test Student, then closed it. Now Test Student could see the questions/answers by clicking on their "Submission Details" in the upper right-hand corner.

Ideally, I would like even a student who had not even attempted the quiz to be able to see this content. I thought that, perhaps, my explicitly assigning a score of 0 would create a "submission" for them and allow them to see the quiz content. That halfway worked. It creates an "empty" submission that they can click, but it gives no content.

Any ideas for working around that? (Other than imploring your students to do their quizzes. 🙂 )

bowmanr
Community Champion

@thorine 

You have found something I knew about as well, but did not think of resonding with - probably because of how I interpreted your post.  I have dummy students that I can log into exactly as students do.  I use them for putting in maximum possible scores and I never take quizzes with their accounts - although I need to start doing that for ABET copies of solutions.  IN any case I have noticed that if students do not take the quiz, then they cannot view the content.  I thought that was only for quizzes with group questions, but I just checked a quiz I have that did not have qroup questions and nothing was visible.  So evidently by taking the quiz, a copy of the quiz and questions is created for the student.  Not taking the quiz results in no quiz to view.

It might be worth posting a feature request for this issue to be fixed so that students that miss a quiz can actually access the questions and the answers.

acgottfr
Community Participant

I have had this problem as well.  If I just put in a Due date, then students who do the quiz on time are penalized.  Another student can submit for a score after the due date and still receive credit.  If I set up a late penalty in the grade book, then students who submitted on time and try the quiz again are penalized with a late penalty.  So I set the due date and until date as the same.  But then students who did not open the quiz at all cannot see the quiz after the until date.    No matter what, some group of students will have to be penalized.

Hi @thorine 

I just wanted to comment that you took the right approach to test and figure this out. In your first test, you did not note that the Test Student had not actually attempted the quiz during the allotted time frame.

Great job!

Kelley