cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taplinj
Community Participant

Reset course content history (audit)

Is there a way to identify if a user (an instructor) deleted course content or reset a course?  I have looked through his page access and can't see anything that looks questionable, but all content from every one of his courses for a particular term has been removed.  The "People" tab shows activity by the students and the instructor, but there is no access history to the course for any of them, including the instructor (with the exception of navigating to the settings page of the course).

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@taplinj , I'm not sure what you can find on the front end (or the back-end), but what we've done in situations like this is contact Canvas Support. They've been super helpful and been able to track down exactly what went on in a course and what an Instructor did (or didn't do).

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @taplinj ‌

Let me ask the more delicate question - has this instructor been dismissed, or rather was he/she dismissed prior to the resets?

I ask because it seems much too personal and planned than something a faculty member would accidentally do. We have a policy that requires us to be notified anytime faculty is terminated for any reason, and when we receive those notices we immediately remove their access to Canvas. We started this after being burned badly once a bit more than four years ago.]

As  @kona  stated, not only can Support identify the culprit, they can also restore the lost content.

Kelley

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @taplinj ...

I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question to the Canvas Community on August 23rd.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from both  @kona  and  @kmeeusen ?  Did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance?  If you feel that Kona's or Kelley's response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, please come back to this thread and post a message below letting the Community know if you're still looking for some help with your initial question.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you since you first posted this question.  That won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to this posting below, however.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Jay.

smurray-luke
Community Participant

I am also interested in knowing if there is a way to know if an instructor did a reset.  Course content has mysteriously disappeared and the only reason I can figure is that the reset button was clicked.  It would be helpful to see the course history so we don't spend days trying to prove where the problem happened.  Suggestions?

@sluke ‌,

This actually came up for me this morning.  What i did was I first looked at the "new" course Import History.  (Course => Settings => Import Course Content).  When I saw that there was no activity in it, I knew that something had to be wrong.  It was at that point that I began to think that the course had been reset, and since resetting a course essentially deletes the original course, and then moves all enrollments over to a newly created course (thus the new course ID), I ran the Recently Deleted Courses report (Admin => Account => Settings => Reports => Recently Deleted Courses) for the account where the course in question is housed.

That is when I found that there was a course that had been deleted which matched the name, section, and code I was looking for. I went into the Admin Tools area of Canvas (Admin => Account => Admin Tools => Canvas Course ID => Restore) and restored the course.  After it was restored, I was able to run an Course Audit API (GET api/v1/audit/course/courses/course_id) to see what had happened.  This showed me a list of all activity in the course and come to find out, the instructor had reset the course and that was the root of the issue.  We provided coaching and guidance and there was no disputing what had happened.  It took all of 15 minutes to investigate. 

I hope this helps.

Jason Schaffer

smurray-luke
Community Participant

Thanks, jschaffer.  This is exactly what I needed.

william_diehl
Community Participant

We're having similar issues and I found that, under Admin Tools -> Logging, I was able to see a log entry for course reset after I provided the course ID....

Screenshot