Roles that have permissions to change assignment weights

Jump to solution
GregMayer
Community Member

Hello canvas community! 

I am helping an instructor set up their canvas site.

The instructor can set my role to be a TA, or an instructional designer, or anything else except instructor.

We want to set up grade weights for the assignment groups but for this particular course the process I usually use is not working. 

In other canvas sites, where I am the instructor, it is easy to set up group weights. I can do this by navigating in canvas to

1. Assignments
  2. Options (for a particular group)
  3. Edit
  4. Enter the needed % for the group weight in the field that asks for a group weight

However, for the course I am supporting, I do not have a group weight where I can enter the percentage i need for each assignment group.

Am I not seeing that group weight because i am not the instructor?

Are there roles other than the instructor that can modify the group weight? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@GregMayer ...

It's possible.  It all depends on what your Canvas administrator has set up for permissions.  The "Assignments and Quizzes - edit" row controls the permissions for working with assignment group weights.  As you can see on the right (green box), there's a short description of what it does.

Screenshot 2024-08-05 150041.png

You would need to talk with your school's Canvas admin to see if he/she would be willing to change these permissions.  But keep in mind these are permissions for everyone at your school...not just you.  So, changing things here may affect many people.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post