SAML 2.0 - OKTA x Canvas - students can't reset theirs password

Jump to solution
DorDana
Community Novice

After finishing setup OKTA saml to my Canvas app, I'm facing a problem.

The problem is users who log in via Canvas are no longer able to change their passwords.

The "Forgot Password: Canvas" email doesn't have the reset password link instead, there is a new message:

"The password for this login should have been given to you by the system administrators at ********, and Instructure doesn't have access to your password. If your password is not working, please contact the system administrators about changing or verifying your password."

I want that my all users be able to reset their password using this email.

Help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

When an authentication provider other than Canvas is used, then passwords would need to be reset through that authentication provider.  When users would user the Forgot Password link, this would reset the password for their Canvas login.  Canvas wouldn't be able to reset their password for Okta/SAML from within Canvas--it would need to be done from within Okta/SAML.  

If you have the SAML authentication set to position 1, then users would have to go to www.yourschool.instructure.com/login/canvas to even see the "Forgot Password" option.  Most authentication providers will have their own Forgot Password option listed on their login screen.  You may want to refer to Configuring Okta (SAML) and Canvas Authentication for more information on using Okta as your authentication provider.

View solution in original post

0 Likes