Safari problems with google doc submissions, file uploads, and loading various things (cross site tracking enabled)

Jump to solution
Gabarros
Community Member

I just switched to using safari, and I read that you need to disable cross-site tracking so I did that and it fixed a few problems, but I still have a few and am wondering if anybody knows how to fix them. The problems that I have are that whenever I go to submit a file, I click upload file and the little choose file box shows up (its a bit off of the line if that helps), but when I click it and select a file it goes through but before it is attached it says that there is an error. The same thing happens with the drag and drop for files, and this means that I have to just use firefox to submit files. I don't know if this is the wrong place, but whenever there is a slideshow or google doc linked in the canvas it takes 30 seconds or more to load on safari and loads instantly on Firefox or Chrome.

If anybody knows what the problem is that would be super helpful! Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @Gabarros 

Thanks for posting this in the Canvas Community! 

I apologize you're having trouble with Safari. 

I have not come across this issue you are describing, but there are a few things you can try to rule out for possible causes. 

• I know Canvas recently updated THIS doc and now list that Safari version 15 and 16 are supported. If you are running an older version, updating to the latest version might make a bit of a difference. 
  • Does Safari run smoother after clearing your cache and cookies? This can sometimes make a huge difference with issues loading content specifically. I try and clear cache every few weeks to ensure I don't have any collected cache hindering my ability to load certain websites and content. HERE is the canvas guide on clearing cache on MAC. I recommend using the option for 'All History' when troubleshooting stuff like this. 
  • Incognito: Does the behavior continue while using an Incognito private browser window in Safari? If not, it could be something such as an extension and or a blocked permission and or cookie causing the issue. 
  • Blocked cookies and permissions. I know that sometimes a stubborn blocked cookie or permission can cause problems such as this. Do you have Block All Cookies enabled in the Safari preferences? 

Hopefully this helps and I am not repeating previous troubleshooting you have already tried! Let us know if you find out what the cause is to this issue! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post

0 Likes