Same Google Network?

Jump to solution
AnitaYoung914
Community Member

For this feature to work in Canvas, must the teacher and students use the same google network?  For example, our teachers use our vendor's google drive and the students we teach use their school district google drive.  Do the sharing, copying, etc. features in google drive through Canvas work? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
joshua_lebo
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @AnitaYoung914,

I understand you are looking to check if you can use Google accounts from different domains in the same Canvas instance. There are a few different ways in which Canvas and Google integrate, so we would need to know which option you are using to provide the best answer.

Would you be using the Google Plug-in for Canvas which is accessed by adding Google Drive as a Registered Service in a user's account settings? This Plug-in can only be used for Collaborations, or previously for selecting files to upload for an assignment (I believe this option was recently removed) and you should be okay to use Google accounts from any domain as long as the Canvas Admins for your account have not selected to restrict Google Docs to a specified domain in the account level settings.

Another option for integrating Canvas and Google is the Google Apps LTI which can be can be installed at the course or account level from the Edu App Center. This LTI can be use for Collaborations, assignment submissions, linking content in modules and the Rich Content Editor, or can be added as a Course Navigation Menu item. This LTI is slated to be deprecated at some point in the next few years to be replaced by the Google Assignments LTI 1.3 noted below. This LTI also allows users to authenticate and use Google accounts from any domain.

The final option for connecting Canvas and Google is the Google Assignments LTI 1.3. Which has similar functionality to the Google Apps LTI above, but also allows the use of the new Google Assignments external tool assignment type. This LTI is managed by Google directly, so I don't have as much information. Since this LTI requires the institution using it in their Canvas instance to have a Google Workspace for Education there are most likely more strict requirements on the domains for the Google accounts used. To get the exact details on this Google integration I would recommend reaching out to Google Assignments support directly here.

View solution in original post