cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I connect to Google Drive as a web service in Canvas as an instructor?

How do I connect to Google Drive as a web service in Canvas as an instructor?

The Google Drive web service allows you to integrate Canvas with your Google Drive account. All users can authorize their Google Drive accounts for access to Google collaborations and assignment uploads.

If you need to create a new Google Drive account, please note that you may experience a delay with the Google integration in Canvas until Google has fully completed the account process.

Note: For any of your courses, if the Course Navigation Menu includes a Google Drive link, your institution has enabled a global Google Drive integration. You do not need to enable Google Drive as a web service.

Open User Settings

Open User Settings

In Global Navigation, click the Account link [1], then click the Settings link [2].

Register Google Drive

Register Google Drive

In Web Services, click the Google Drive button.

Authorize Google Drive

Authorize Google Drive

Click the Authorize Google Drive Access button. You will be re-directed to Google to verify the authorization.

Allow Authorization

Allow Authorization

Canvas will ask permission to view and manage the files in your Google Drive account. Click the Allow button.

Note: You may be asked to log in to your Google account before viewing this page.

View Registered Services

View Registered Services

View Google Drive as a registered service in your Canvas account.

Comments

If that does not appear as an option, does that come from our site controller to add it, or is it a district issue? Thanks

@moosbem yes, you'll need to contact your Canvas admin to see what options are available at your school for enabling Google Drive.

Thanks,

- Nathan

I clicked a link to register chrome with canvas and it took me here. I am a student, not an instructor.

This is fantastic.  Now, how do I allow/set up students to turn in assignments on Canvas via GoogleDocs? 

@lauriecrowe you have a few options. You can create an assignment using Google Drive/Docs as noted in this guide: How do I create a cloud assignment with a Google Drive file? or you can allow students to submit to an assignment with files from their Google Drive using an Online assignment submission type as long as Google Docs is enabled at your school as shown in this guide: How do I create an online assignment? (students will see a Google Docs/Drive tab when selecting something to submit). Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

Word.

My Google drive shows up in Registered Services but how do I upload a file to it and have it visible and accessible for my students? e.g. I saved our zoom class to my files on my computer. I need to upload that file to Canvas via Google docs so my students have access to it. How do i do that? It doesnt show up in the Navigator menu. 

Hi @sherondamike,

Just to clarify, it sounds like you're hoping to upload a Zoom recording to a course, is there a particular reason why you'd like to use Google to host the video? Do you use a paid version of Zoom?

If you or your school uses a paid version of Zoom, you can enable the Zoom app for your course (if paid by your school you may need an admin to do this). Then students can access Zoom meetings within the course. If you don't use a paid version of Zoom, you can create a new course page and either embed the video directly from your computer or embed/add a link to the video from Google Drive. For steps, check out How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? or How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as an ins... If embedding a video, you may want to verify the file type is supported

It sounds like you were maybe hoping to add a video to Google so students could access it in the Google Drive/Google Docs link in Course Navigation. To do that, you'd need to configure the Google app for the course to see the Google Drive/Google Docs link in Course Navigation. However, students will only be able to see their own Google Drive files or files that have been shared with them via their google accounts. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. 

Naomi

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
6 of 6
Last update:
a week ago
Updated by: