Scoring in Quizzes.Next

Jump to solution
tod_duncan
Community Novice

This question is about the scoring for a Quizzes.Next question that requires multiple correct actions. For example, a matching question might require five items be matched for 'correctness'. It seems that these items are scored as all or nothing. That is, if a student matches 3/5 correctly, they get 0 points. To get the assigned points, they must match all five correctly. There is no way to adjust this default behavior as far as I can tell. For simple MC questions such a default makes sense, but for questions that require multiple parts be correct, there should be some kind of "proportional scoring" functionality. Am I missing such a thing somewhere?

0 Likes
1 Solution
tdw
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @tod_duncan ‌,

you are correct that it is currently all-or-nothing.  I believe this specific feature was talked about on the most recent episode of the Canvas Podcast: https://community.canvaslms.com/events/2977-the-tldr-canvas-podcast-episode-2-february-2020 

For now you have a few options:

• Create the quiz in old quizzes (it supports that function)
  • Leave it as-is
  • Break it into multiple questions.

Personally, I'm a fan of the last option- I know it kind of breaks the "flow" of the question - but it allows for much richer item analysis as a teacher.  If you have a 5-part question (I've even seen something like 20-part questions!) and you students are all over the place with their scores (even in classic quizzes) how can you go back and effectively check where there were failing, or what the difficult parts were?  You can't really.  But if they're broken down into individual questions you can look at quiz statistics and say "oh, 80% of people missed that one question - but I know we covered it in lectures and labs, maybe I better check the way the question is asked."

View solution in original post

0 Likes