cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darmstrong
Community Contributor

Is anyone familiar with scorm and how it works? It just showed up in my instance and I have a lot of teachers asking questions about it.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @darmstrong 

I'm not sure how much you know about SCORM already - it's an abbreviation for "Sharable Content Object Reference Model" and is basically a format for creating online content that is recognised by a variety of systems. Content created in SCORM is not written for a specific VLE/LMS but can be imported into any system that recognises SCORM. Canvas, Blackboard and Moodle for example all support SCORM. At my institution we often buy content packages from publishers that are created in SCORM and then import them directly into our Canvas courses. The content will often contain an assignment, which will appear alongside other assignments that have been created in the course.

The SCORM package typically comes as a .ZIP file and if you have SCORM enabled for your Canvas system it will allow you to upload this file into your course and extract the content. There is some information in the online Canvas guides: How do I import SCORM files as an assignment?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @darmstrong 

I'm not sure how much you know about SCORM already - it's an abbreviation for "Sharable Content Object Reference Model" and is basically a format for creating online content that is recognised by a variety of systems. Content created in SCORM is not written for a specific VLE/LMS but can be imported into any system that recognises SCORM. Canvas, Blackboard and Moodle for example all support SCORM. At my institution we often buy content packages from publishers that are created in SCORM and then import them directly into our Canvas courses. The content will often contain an assignment, which will appear alongside other assignments that have been created in the course.

The SCORM package typically comes as a .ZIP file and if you have SCORM enabled for your Canvas system it will allow you to upload this file into your course and extract the content. There is some information in the online Canvas guides: How do I import SCORM files as an assignment?

lknott
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @darmstrong ​,

SCORM is a tool that is enabled in your Canvas environment (by the request of an Admin) via your CSM. It is enabled at the account-level so this is why you are seeing it in your instance. If you have no use for it you can simply go to your course navigation and drag the SCORM item out of view.

Thanks,

Libby

hi @darmstrong ,

Following up on lkushma​'s post. A CSM is a Customer Success Manager assigned to your school and should be in contact with the LMS admins there.  CSMs do have access to a code that defaults the SCORM tool to "hidden" in the navigation for each course. If you are getting a lot of questions about the tool and would prefer it default to hidden, reach out to your CSM (or your school's admin if you don't know your CSM).

Hope that is helpful!