Setting additional attempts when minimum grade not reached

Jump to solution
JenSchroeck
Community Member

Our grading policy is that students can make corrections to assignments that they score a 60 or below on.  Currently, I have it set so that students only receive one attempt on the assignment.   If they score 60 or below, I have manually gone back in and unlocked the assignment for them to make a second attempt because I do not want the whole grade level to have a second attempt.  I explored the add requirements option, but that seems to lock them out of moving on to the next assignment.  I want them to move forward with the class and redo the low work at a different time...at home, during tutoring, etc.  Any suggestions?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@JenSchroeck -

Not a solution, but a question about the policy you want.  Is the grade for the assignment counted towards their grade?  If so, for students who get the extra attemipt, do you cap their grade at 60%?  Just asking because that is the first thing that came into my mind.  Student A gets a 61% and no extra attempt.  Student B gets a 59% and gets an extra attempt and scores an 80%.

In answer to your question, to fully automate within Canvas adding an extra attempt for too low of a grade and then if necessary capping that grade at say 60% is not possible.

here is a possible solution that would still require work (not sure of how many students are in the class - the bigger the class the more work necessary).  Create 2 identical quizzes.  Put the first one in the original module(if you use modules).  Then put the other quiz in a second module that has the criteria to open if  the student scores < 60% on the quiz in question.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes

@JenSchroeck -

I just re-read my post.  I think the work around will work - more or less.  The only problem is the extra assignment has to be assigned to only those who scored lower than 60%(not a problem), but the module will show up for all students.  So students who scored >60% will see an empty module and may be confused.  So, there would have to be a document in the module explaining what its existence is for.  

On the plus side, if there are multiple assignments where the >60% criteria will be applied, all of the extra attempt quizzes can be put in that module with each one assigned only to those students that require it.  You could name the module in some way that also implies what assignments would be there.

obviously not a great solution, but a plausible work around - provided the information can be explained to the students..  

View solution in original post