TeacherJ
Community Member

Unpublished assignments in gradebook

Jump to solution

Is there a gradebook filter to hide the unpublished assignments? I want to see what's been assigned and graded but not what has been made and not published yet. My gradebook looks like a mess and the filter options do not seem to clean it up. I'm afraid to sync it with my school system.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

@TeacherJ ...

I see what you mean...that you are using the new "Enhanced Gradebook Filters" option for the Gradebook.  You're actually looking at the wrong spot, though...as displaying and not displaying unpublished assignments still exists.  Instead of clicking on the "Filters" button on the right side of your Gradebook, click on the cog wheel icon above it (just to the right of the "Import" and "Export" buttons.  Then, select the "View Options" tab from the fly-out menu that appears on your screen.  You'll see a checkbox for "Unpublished Assignments".  You can toggle it on/off.  Don't forget to click the "Apply Settings" button at the bottom of that fly-out menu when you're done.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @TeacherJ ...

My sandbox Gradebook has a "View" menu, and there is an option for "Unpublished Assignments".  If I turn this on, then I will see columns in my Gradebook with the word UNPUBLISHED at the top of each column.  If I select the "Unpublished Assignments" option again (it would have a check-mark next to it indicating that it's currently enabled), those assignments are hidden from my view.

Screenshot 2022-09-16 124357.jpg

Does that help to answer your question?

0 Kudos
TeacherJ
Community Member

my new gradebook layout has filters and the previous layout (the one you're showing above) is no longer an option. The new filters say nothing about published versus unpublished assignments. So...I'm still stuck.

0 Kudos

@TeacherJ ...

I see what you mean...that you are using the new "Enhanced Gradebook Filters" option for the Gradebook.  You're actually looking at the wrong spot, though...as displaying and not displaying unpublished assignments still exists.  Instead of clicking on the "Filters" button on the right side of your Gradebook, click on the cog wheel icon above it (just to the right of the "Import" and "Export" buttons.  Then, select the "View Options" tab from the fly-out menu that appears on your screen.  You'll see a checkbox for "Unpublished Assignments".  You can toggle it on/off.  Don't forget to click the "Apply Settings" button at the bottom of that fly-out menu when you're done.  Hope this helps!

THANKS! So much happier!
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I am not a big fan of the "Enhanced Gradebook Filters." It is not ready for prime time.

Try going into your Course Settings. Click on Feature Options. Then toggle off the "Enhanced Gradebook Filters." 

Problem solved.

Oh, that's very helpful too. Thanks so much!
0 Kudos

@TeacherJ and @SusanNiemeyer ...

Just a quick note here.  The Gradebook enhancements feature option I mentioned earlier may or may not be able to be turned off in your course...depending on how your school's Canvas administrator has configured things at the Canvas account level.  For example, at the Canvas account level, the following four options for this feature are currently available:

• Disabled by default for all courses (no option for you to turn it on at the course level)
  • Disabled for all courses with the ability for instructors to turn it at the course level per course
  • Enabled for all courses with the ability for instructors to turn it off at the course level per course
  • Enabled by default for all courses (no option for you to turn it off at the course level)

How do I manage new features for a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Not sure how it has been configured for either of you, but just wanted you to be aware of this as it stands right now.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos