Speedgrader: What does 'Student Viewed' date/time actually log?

Jump to solution
CrystalDJ
Community Explorer

I have read the articles about Canvas' Speedgrader functionality and have seen several places in this community where Speedgrader Student Viewed data indicates this is representative of students viewing instructor feedback.

Here's what the Canvas Docs Include:

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 11.26.13 AM.png

I must be missing something.  We see this 'student viewed' date occur in simultaneity with the 'submission' date and time, which can't possibly be reflective of student viewing instructor feedback as it doesn't yet exist.  This happens on some occasions while not in others and I am trying to understand why that is.

Can someone shed light on this---what is the trigger for that data and what is it actually representing within Canvas?

Here's an example of what we see when no annotations are present within DocViewer/Speedgrader (filename blurred intentionally):

Speedgrader1.png

1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

@CrystalDJ The "Student Viewed Document" timestamp indicates when the student viewed the submission in the DocViewer. If the submission time is the same as the time shown in "Student Viewed Document", then most likely the student viewed a preview of the submitted document after making the submission.  Often students will do this to ensure that the file they submitted was correctly uploaded and is formatted as expected upon submission.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes