cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmchugh
Community Member

Student "locked out of quiz"

Jump to solution

I have a student who claims "the tab locked me out after question 2" and is asking to be given a second attempt on a higher-stakes, summative quiz that is set for only one attempt.  Is there a legitimate reason why this might have happened? Or is this some sort of a ruse?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bmchugh
Community Member

Thank you, Steven, for that specific advice!  Alas, I did not opt for one question at a time, but probably will in the future. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bmchugh
Community Member

Steven,

Your response helped me get more out of my interaction with the tech support person when it fiiiinally came my turn (I was number 99+ when I first initiated live chat). 

Had you not mentioned the possibility of a quiz log, I would not have asked the tech rep, and so it might have taken longer to get to where she showed me how to turn on that option in Settings. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_S
Community Champion

I have had students on slow internet connections complain that the quiz froze, and students with power outages need to resume a quiz that was interrupted.  I set lockdown browser to allow them to re-enter their current attempt, and then I simply monitor for reports that students are leaving and re-entering the quiz. 

With this student, I would check the quiz log.  If you display one question at a time, it will tell you how much of the quiz your student saw, and how much time they took to get to that point.  In new quizzes, one of the moderate options is to re-open the current attempt.  I expect that it would reopen with only the remaining time of a timed quiz, based on the time listed for how long this attempt took.  If that time shows that the student took the full time of a timed quiz, but the quiz log shows a shorter time, you may need to add the difference in the two times as additional time if you choose to reopen a timed attempt. 

bmchugh
Community Member

Thank you, Steven, for that specific advice!  Alas, I did not opt for one question at a time, but probably will in the future. 

0 Kudos
bmchugh
Community Member

Steven,

Your response helped me get more out of my interaction with the tech support person when it fiiiinally came my turn (I was number 99+ when I first initiated live chat). 

Had you not mentioned the possibility of a quiz log, I would not have asked the tech rep, and so it might have taken longer to get to where she showed me how to turn on that option in Settings. Thanks!

0 Kudos