cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily_beckman
Community Contributor

Student to Student Conversation/Email to Group Members

Jump to solution

We have Student to Student Conversations turned off.

We have teachers, clubs and sports that use Groups.

Students have found a hole in the system. Students have been sending Canvas Emails to a student or students in their group(s).

Is anyone else having this issue?

How can we get this fixed?

And how is this even possible if we have turned on Student to Student Conversation at the system level?

1 Solution
SethBattis
Community Contributor

Observationally, the Send messages to individual course members permission seems to apply only to courses, not to account-level groups. I note that the accompanying PDF for How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?​ indicates that this is a permission that is "under review".

After some initial testing a few years back, we decided that account-level groups were so "unaccountable", from a moderation and supervision standpoint, that we create clubs and teams as courses (in appropriate sub-accounts) instead. The killer for us was actually during our pilot when we realized that someone in our Canvas pilot group was deleting shared notes as they read them, not realizing that they were deleted -- forever -- for everyone!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

For an issue like this my recommendation is to contact Canvas Support. They'll be able to dig into this and really see what's going on and if it's expected behavior or not.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@emily_beckman , it's been a while since we heard from you. Did you contact Canvas Support? If so, would you take a moment to update us on the results of their investigation? Is this indeed expected behavior for groups?

SethBattis
Community Contributor

Observationally, the Send messages to individual course members permission seems to apply only to courses, not to account-level groups. I note that the accompanying PDF for How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?​ indicates that this is a permission that is "under review".

After some initial testing a few years back, we decided that account-level groups were so "unaccountable", from a moderation and supervision standpoint, that we create clubs and teams as courses (in appropriate sub-accounts) instead. The killer for us was actually during our pilot when we realized that someone in our Canvas pilot group was deleting shared notes as they read them, not realizing that they were deleted -- forever -- for everyone!

Thanks for mentioning that,  @SethBattis ; when I originally read  @emily_beckman ​'s question, I missed the nuance that we were talking about account- or sub-account-level groups rather than course-level groups--and your explanation explains the discrepancy, which sounds like intended behavior. Emily, can you confirm this?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@emily_beckman , we haven't heard from you in a while, and are hopeful that the answers provided above helped clarify matters for you. I'm going to mark  @SethBattis ​'s response as Correct; nevertheless, if you still need help with this, the discussion remains open for additional participation.