Students cannot see their feedback in peer review rubric

Jump to solution
karin_molander_
Community Participant

I set up an assignment with peer review, a rubric in which students are supposed to write comments. I can see their comments in Speedgrader, but they cannot see the feedback they provided, and therefore not edit it, once they have submitted. This is unfortunate, since they are graded on their feedback, and may want to revise it. Is there anyway they can access what they have written?

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @karin_molander_  - I've played around with peer reviews a bit myself to assist faculty at my own institution, and I have to admit I've not run into this.  I just now tried this in a sample class with peer reviews and logged in as students, and I have to say you are absolutely right....once students submit their own comments/rubric, etc., to their peer, they indeed can NOT see what they wrote on the peer review rubric when they head back to the assignment.  This is true even BEFORE it is graded by the instructor.  Somewhat more frustratingly, when they go back to the rubric, not only can they not see their comments, they cannot see their rubric scores, either.  (It reads as 0 points.)

I guess the only thing I can suggest is that you create a Feature Idea regarding this.  (See How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community? ) Otherwise, forewarned is forearmed, as they say, and the next time you do something like this you may want to suggest the students take a screen capture of their work right after they submit the rubric (when they can still see it).  Once they back out of the assignment and try accessing it again, it's too late! 

That said, I have to say that it's not too unusual for students not to be able to edit something after submission in Canvas, generally.  For example, instructors can disable the ability for students to edit their own discussion posts, and once an assignment is past its UNTIL date, students cannot resubmit an assignment.  (They can also never remove comments submitted with an assignment.)

This is an interesting case, Karin, and sorry that about all I can do is confirm what you're seeing.

View solution in original post