Taking Attendance in Online Class

Jump to solution
koshea1
Community Member

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone might have some great ideas for taking attendance in an online sync class.  Our school requires attendance, but I am driving myself crazy with trying to keep track of students who attend, come in late, leave early, etc.  It's very distracting to me, so wondering if there is a better way that I haven't thought of?  Any and all suggestions would be so appreciated!!  Thank you. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
ethan-franks
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @koshea1

I had a lot of professors use quizzes or discussions to mark whether the students are in attendance or not. For example, you could have the students post in a discussion or assignment when they attend the course. This will also allow you to have a time-stamp when they mark it. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Since you're teaching an online synchronous class, I assume that you are using Zoom. You could take attendance by having your students write their names in the Chat at the beginning of class. Then if you need to verify who stays for the entire class, you could have them write something in the Chat at the end or towards the end of the class. 

I also teach online synchronous Zoom classes, and I give weekly quizzes at the end of the class period. So, for example, during the last twenty minutes of the class period, I turn off Zoom. Then the students log into Canvas and take their quizzes. This has worked really well for me. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes