The Export Button and Copyright Theft

Jump to solution
DDFletch
Community Explorer

We use Canvas to service hundreds of jr. highs and high schools across the US, and have spent millions of dollars developing our IP.  Not having an option to turn off the export button for teachers and TAs creates massive issues for our legal team.  Although we want to trust teachers and users to respect the copyright, it's pretty naive to just expect them to stay honest when we put a button right on the UI with the word, "EXPORT" on it.  This could actually be used as a legal defense - "Why did you put an export button on there if you didn't want people to download your courses?"  It won't do to reply, "cause Canvas doesn't give me a choice."

This should have a checkbox in the settings so people can put minimum protections in place to keep users from taking everything they have with the click of a button.

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@DDFletch and @Chris_Hofer  I am sure the button can be turned off directly in the settings area but I don't know enough JavaScript to do it in that area.  I was able to figure out how to prevent it though on the screen after that.  Essentially this script disables the form that is presented that allows the user to pick "course" or "quiz" and then export.  I also added a line so you can put any information you would like to share.

{document.getElementById("exporter_form").style.display = "none";}

$('#export_files').after(
"<p><b>Please contact insert office for information on course exports</p>"
);

If you add this to your theme it will remove it.  I will say it removes it for everyone including admins.  I have never been able to get role based JavaScipt to work although I am sure other members of the community could share what to add so admins would still have this ability.

This hopefully will get you started.

-Nick 

View solution in original post