Too many assignments showing up in the gradebook during the last grading period

Jump to solution
JonathanDoyle
Community Member

Someone told  yesterday that Canvas is the one that is doing this havoc that is happening in the courses. Another Rep in another school was told by a Canvas representative that this is a feature they turn on I guess recently (the last 6-8 months). WHY would they do that since all it does it causes havoc? This year or a few months ago I am not sure, Canvas decided that every item in a module that is NOT published even without a due date (or part of a grading period) shows up during the last grading period (MP4).

The nightmare they unleash is crazy!!! I hope they turned it off. I hope this can be undone. I created a temporary fix but is it time consuming. I knew it wasn't my imagination that this was happening. It is really CRAZY that they did that since it isn't logical at all.

Can this be STOP or undone because it is crazy?

0 Likes
1 Solution
melodyc_lam
Community Coach
Community Coach

@JonathanDoyle 

Welcome!

Grading Periods are set by your Canvas admin. These grading periods are used so that teachers can easily filter the assignments page & their gradebook by grading periods.

Any items that do not have a due date automatically go into the last grading period. This has been the behavior of grading periods since Canvas instituted grading periods; this is so that the checks on whether or not an item gets locked is done correctly (you don't want an item that has no due date to get locked!) This does make the last grading period a little cluttered; however, we have found that in our district, teachers and students appreciate being able to filter Canvas course items by quarter so they can focus on the current quarter's items.

There are a few ways to make the Canvas gradebook a little easier to manage for the last quarter:

1) Don't display unpublished assignments 

2) Use the filters to filter out any assignments that don't have submissions

I would also suggest reaching out to your Canvas Admin to see if they have any other ideas that are within your district/institution's guidelines. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes