Transfer Ownership of a Course

Jump to solution
chris-thompson
Community Explorer

I created a course with my own individual Free for Teachers account, but would like to transfer ownership of this course to a different user.  Currently, the user I would like to transfer ownership to has been invited to the course as a Teacher role.  Is there a way that I can pass along ownership of the current course to that user?  Or would they have to export and import a new copy of the course onto their account?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@chris-thompson  It's not clear from the question whether you want to give the teacher the course content and its enrollments; if so, exporting a copy won't accomplish what you're seeking. As long as the teacher to whom you wish to transfer ownership of the course is enrolled in the course, they should be able to remove your enrollment and make themselves sole "owner" of the course and all of its enrollments—but if your goal is to share only the course content, the teacher can export their own copy of the course for later use elsewhere in Canvas.

View solution in original post

@chris-thompson  That's correct; all users in the course who are enrolled in the "teacher" role will have the same permissions regardless of who initially created the course.

View solution in original post