cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TessCsiszar
Community Member

Trouble creating a Group

I asked the professor to add "People" function to our course on Canvas. This allows me to see everyone, but when I click on the "Group" tab, the vertical elipses disappears and there are no options to follow steps to create a group manually.  For instance, there is no "+ Add Group" option.

Does the faculty member control certain settings in "People" that need to be turned on in order for me to manually create a group? If so, please advise.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @TessCsiszar ...

Instructors have an option in their course "Settings" (a screen that students cannot see) that has a check-box for "Let students organize their own groups".  This is covered in the following Guide for instructors: How do I set details for a course? - Instructure Community (check out the section titled "View More Options" near the bottom of that page).  Your instructor may have purposely left that box unchecked...if he/she does not want students in the course setting up their own groups.  However, that setting is slightly hidden on the instructor "Settings" page, so it's possible that your instructor may have overlooked this setting.  I'd recommend having a conversation with your instructor about this to see if he/she wants it turned on or off.  You can contact your instructor by following the information in this Guide: How do I get help with Canvas as a student? - Instructure Community.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Good luck!