Two options for assignments

Jump to solution
lelandkrum
Community Explorer

I'm trying to create two assignments which the student can choose. I've looked at Mastery Paths and generally understand them and there is an OR option between assignments. But that needs to start with an assessment. I don't want to start with a test. I just want the student to choose between two assignments, either one will work. 

Isn't there a simpler way to do this? :smileyshocked:

Thanks in advance! 

1 Solution
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Leland Krum,

There are lots of ways to do the student choice assignment including:

• Mastery paths as mentioned by Kristin
    • Involves setup by the instructor before assignment submission
  • EX in the un-chosen assignment mentioned by Chris
    • Involves intervention by the instructor after submission
    • Potentially affected by Missing Grade Policy
  • 1 assignment - 2 prompts mentioned by Katie.
    • Easiest solution if both assignments are worth the same number of points. I've used this method when it's one essay but 4 different possible prompts.
    • Student has to identify which assignment they are completing in their submission.

Here's another option: Student choose assignment in a discussion/group and Assign by section (or student)

Lots of options depending on the nature of the assignments and how often you will have students choose their own assignment. I still think the method mentioned by Katie - 1 assignment 2 prompts is the easiest to set up especially since either assignment will work.

I would set up 2 explanation pages and 1 assignment page in case the 2 assignments are different enough that require more instructions than can fit on a single page. And I also like that pages have a page history and it makes it real easy to swap out the possible assignments if the "assignment page" is just a drop box.

• Assignment 1 Explanation page
  • Assignment 2 Explanation page
  • Submit  Assignment page

Let us know what you end up using and how it works out for you,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post