Unable to upload documents under assignments

Jump to solution
Community Member

Hello. Im trying to help a teacher that has uploaded documents under assignments tab before and is unable to now. she tried opening a new course and the document uploads fine.  She is unable to upload any documents, jpegs . when trying to upload it displays message: something went wrong. check your connection. 

Her internet is perfect.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @329926 

A user cannot upload documents into the Assignments content area of Canvas. You can upload a document into the instructions area of an already created assignment using the Rich Content Editor (RCE), but not into the Assignments content area.The only content areas in a Canvas course where documents can be uploaded are Files and Modules.

That is a very non-specific error message which does not tell me much. If anything, I would suspect the teacher was using an unsupported browser, or had a connection error.

I would verify that the teachers is actually attempting to upload a document in an area that accepts documents, and if she is still having this problem submit a support ticket.

I know this is not particularly helpful, but as Community members we have no way to troubleshoot this problem, and the description of the problem does not match Canvas functionality.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Community Member

Not true. I upload documents daily on my courses, as do all teachers i know,  by going to assignments tab, creating assignments and uploading documents (docx, jped, etc)   No Files and modules are not the only places to upload documents.

More knowledgeable forums immediately identified this error as a storage capacity error per course.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @329926 

I am so sorry, I misunderstood your question. You are not actually uploading documents to the Assignments area; but rather, are using the rCE in a specific assignment to upload a document to that assignment's textbox. Big difference! And yes, your storage capacity for your course is full, but you can always ask your Canvas admin to increase it.

Again, many apologies!

Kelley