Use a separate Page for each Chapter?

Julie1234567200
Community Member

Hi!

I checked through past questions but did not see an answer to my question. I know that most professors use Modules rather than Pages for each Chapter. But, as a newbie, it seems easier for me personally to follow the chapter using Pages. In Psych 101, each Chapter has anywhere from two to five separate subtopics. I have separate videos, study guides, readings, and power points for each sub-topic. For me, it's easier to see the subtopic. I'm trying to think through whether I should change it. Can I get advice? Should I change to Modules, and if so, why?

Here is what I know so far:

The advantages and disadvantages of using a Module for each Chapter:

Advantage: Using a Module is better because I can make sure students do tasks in order.

Advantage: I would be consistent with other professors, so it would be easier for students to move around.

Disadvantage: I'm not sure others would agree, but when I took an  OL class, I found it confusing to be assigned Modules for each section. This is because at the end of each Module, you have the option of moving into the next Module using the "next" arrow. But, I lost track of which Module I was in.

The advantages and disadvantages of using a Page for each chapter:

Advantage: I can easily see what is going on - I can make separate sections for each subtopic.

Advantage: I can add comments (advice, background info, etc.) between sections, power points, videos, etc.

Advantage: I can use "Headings" to show organization.

Disadvantage: My colleague, who is an expert with OL teaching, says using Pages will clutter up my list of Pages when I export my class to the next semester (import?). It would clutter the page if I need to change something from the previous semester

It's not too late to change it for next semester, but I feel swamped and would rather not unless I'll be very sorry.

Thanks!

Julie

0 Likes