cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I manage Course Navigation links?

How do I manage Course Navigation links?

As an instructor, you can control which links appear in Course Navigation. Canvas includes a set of default Course Navigation links that are shown by default and cannot be renamed. Depending on your course configuration, other links may be available and may be customizable.

Links to sections that don't have any content and that students cannot create content for will be automatically hidden for students and will display the Visibility icon to instructors. For example, if there are no learning outcomes set for the course, you will see the Outcomes link with the Visibility icon, but students will not see the link at all. Configured External Apps may create additional Course Navigation links.

Disabling a course navigation link creates the following redirects:

• Hidden only (cannot be disabled but still accessible via direct URL): Discussions and Grades
  • Page disabled; redirected to Home page: Announcements, Assignments, Conferences, Collaborations, Files, Modules, Outcomes, Quizzes, Pages, People, Syllabus
  • Page disabled; won't appear in navigation: Any LTI links, such as Attendance, Chat, and SCORM

Reordering and hiding Course Navigation links for Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, and Files also affects the course tabs in the Dashboard course view for all users. Additionally, disabling the Files link will hide the Files tab in the Content Selector in the Rich Content Editor for students.

The following course navigation links will still be visible to instructors even if they have been hidden or disabled: Home, Announcements, Assignments, Collaborations, Conferences, Discussions, Files, Grades, Modules, Outcomes, Pages, People, Quizzes, Settings, and Syllabus.

Notes:

• Navigation links that cannot be disabled require the URL access to display related data in other Canvas areas. Access to hidden pages may be further restricted by changing specific student permissions in Canvas. Contact your Canvas admin for assistance.
  • If you disable the Course Navigation link for an external tool, the link no longer displays in your Course Navigation list.

Open Settings

Open Settings

In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.

Open Navigation

Open Navigation

Click the Navigation tab.

Save Navigation

Save Navigation

Click the Save button.

View Course Navigation Links

View Course Navigation Links

View the Course Navigation Menu. Navigation links will display in the same order that you have designated in Course Settings.

Any Course Navigation link that is hidden from students displays the Visibility icon [1]. A link may be hidden to students because the feature area has no content [2] or because the link is disabled [3].

Note: If you have disabled a Course Navigation link to an external tool, that link will not display in Course Navigation and is hidden to all course users, including instructors.

Comments

I have gone to the navigation and made sure the "Assignments" are in the view portion for the students, but Assignments still shows up with a "not available" icon.  I don't know what to do next to make the assignments visible to the students.

Kim

Hi Kim ( @ktiede )

Just curious...have you added assignments to the Assignments page? Certain feature areas are hidden from students if they do not have content in them, even if you have placed them in the visible section of your Course Navigation.

Another option  to check is to make sure you click the Save button once you have made all your changes to Course Navigation.

Cody

Hello @ktiede 

This might sound elementary, and pardon me if you have done this, but do you have at least 1 assignment published for students to see/access? If not, the assignments area of the course may still show the "not visible to students" icon. 

Greg

I have published my course site, but the "Files" Navigation item is invisible to students.  Yes, it is in the upper block of items in the Settings/Navigation tab.  Yes, I saved it.  Yes, I have created content for "Files", including several sub-folders, and files in some of those sub-folders.  It's still not visible.

I have the same issue.

And it happens everytime.

I enable a module, add content, but it takes a few days for canvas to realize there is content there to update it for students.

For example, I just uploaded some files.  It still says no content.  But in a week, it'll realize there is something there and becomes enabled.  And I've been using canvas for years.  So not my first time, and not my first time seeing this issue.

Your technical team needs to look at there code.  There is some sort of a delay between contents being added, and the front page being updated.

@kuipers I don't see any reason why students wouldn't be able to view the Files link in your course navigation. First, I recommend reaching out to your school's local Canvas admin or technical support to make sure they don't have a setting or custom code that is hiding that from student view. Then, you can contact our Canvas Support team for further help troubleshooting why this isn't behaving correctly (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-an-instructor/t... ). Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

I'm having the same issue.  I cannot get the Navigation links to change from viewable to not viewable, or to show up in student view, even with content in the link (such as in Announcments).  I have saved my work, I have added content, but Canvas seems to want to show only what it wants and no amount of moving Navigation links (and saving my work) seems to matter to Canvas.

Hi @flyphoto,

Since it appears you have tried all the troublshooting steps I could think of, please reach out to your school's local Canvas admin or technical support to make sure they don't have a setting or custom code that is preventing your ability to manage these links. Or contact our Canvas Support team for further help troubleshooting. Best of luck!

Cody

In setting up my courses for the year, I would like to "hide" all of the left side navigation links and instead allow students to access certain features ONLY through links embedded in my home page to minimize their confusion over the many ways to accomplish the same tasks/find the same information. These are not features I want to disable, but that seems to be the only option when they are moved to the "hide from students" section of the navigation settings.  Hide & disable are not the same feature so am I missing some way to differentiate between the two?

@rebecca_m_brown yes, at this time there isn't much in the way of customizing the options in that menu. The behavior of what happens when you hide/disable links is noted in the blue box at the top of this guide (I'll paste it here as well for your convenience). Unfortunately, for most links, Canvas hides and disables instead of just hiding them.

Disabling a course navigation link creates the following redirects:

• Hidden only (cannot be disabled but still accessible via direct URL): Discussions and Grades
  • Page disabled; redirected to Home page: Announcements, Assignments, Conferences, Collaborations, Files, Modules, Outcomes, Quizzes, Pages, People, Syllabus
  • Page disabled; won't appear in navigation: Any LTI links, such as Attendance, Chat, and SCORM

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

I guess I'd buy the argument that this was an impossible feature if everything was either disabled or not. The fact that it can be coded to hide but not disable some things means that it's a conscious, albeit illogical & not founded on the science of good design (graphic or UDL), decision.  

@rebecca_m_brown that's a valid argument and as I am neither a developer or UI/UX designer for Canvas, I can't comment on how or why this feature was implemented in this way, logical or not. I do however think you make a good case for a new feature idea to change how this works. You can create that here Idea Conversations. And you can learn more about the Idea process here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Community/How-do-idea-conversations-work-in-the-Canvas-Community/...

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

Hello All!

If you're looking for a quick way to change the visibility of a course navigation tab for all account courses, here's a Python script you could use that I created!

https://github.com/switchroute/Python/blob/master/canvasapitabfileshidden.py

All you have to do is input your API key, adjust the URL to your institution's Canvas URL, and adjust the for-loop of course numbers it will flip through to adjust the visibility of each tab.  In this code, it specifically is hiding the Files tab from students.  Some professors like to add their own course links that aren't necessary to the student's learning, so I have decided to mass-hide the Files tab - which doesn't hide the individual published links from view in the Modules/Assignments/etc.

This feature/script can hide any of your desired links (Files, Conferences, etc.), just not "Home" or "Settings". On average, the script takes from 30-40min to run, but it sure beats having to go through each course and hiding specific tabs over and over! Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions on it!

Hi @bduggan96,

Thank you SO much for sharing this helpful tip. One small suggestion: we remove comments on our guides pages periodically, so you may want to consider sharing this somewhere that will have longer visibility. Perhaps selecting a group from the Group Hub menu and sharing it there as well?

Cody 

Thank goodness somebody showed me this part in person.  It's really hard to learn from just reading.

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: