Using Outcomes with New Quizzes

farleyb
Community Novice

We have begun trying to tie our learning outcomes to our assessments within Canvas to gain a better understanding of student mastery of the content.  I would love for students to be able to see their mastery through the Student Mastery grade book view, but I am not comfortable letting them see that until I am confident the mastery is showing what I want it to show.

I have the outcomes created in my course, and currently have the calculation method set to the default 65/35 decaying average, out of 5 points.  We have used this learning outcome on 2 separate assessments so far, and have gotten different results each time.  The first assessment was a small quiz featuring 8 questions, all aligned to this standard, so we aligned the whole quiz to this Learning outcome.  The second assessment covered multiple learning targets and only featured 4 questions tied to this outcome, so we aligned each question individually to the learning outcome.

We had students who scored a 5/8 (62%) on the first quiz, and were marked as mastery in the outcome report, but on the second assessment scored a 3/4 (75%) and were marked as no mastery in the outcome report.

When we set up our Learning Outcomes, the mastery level is calculated out of a set number of points.  For example we have 3 set as mastery out of 5 possible points.  I am wondering if Canvas calculates mastery on the set number of points set in the Outcome (meaning that to calculate correctly, every assessment would need to have that number of points available), or if Canvas is calculating mastery using the Decaying average WITHIN the assessment (meaning the final question counts for 65% of the mastery calculation and the other 35% is calculated from the other questions?

Ideally I would like to calculate mastery within an assessment by a straight average (students must show >70% on a quiz to show mastery ON THAT QUIZ) but use the Decaying average across the entire course (The latest assignment counts as 65% of the mastery calculation and the average of all previous assignments count as 35%).  Is there any way to make this happen?

TL;DR

• Do learning outcomes calculate mastery within a quiz based on a set number of points? or is a percentage?
  • Is it possible to calculate mastery differently within a quiz than across assignments throughout a course?
0 Likes