Using the same assignment in two different modules

Jump to solution
WillYurman
Community Novice

Hi,

I'm using a Canvas class from another teacher and notice that the same assignment is used across more than one module.

So that if I edit one, it changes the other. But I don't know how they did it!

How can I copy or duplicate or link (not sure of the terminology) multiple copies of the same assignment so I can update it once and have those changes populate each copy?

thanks!

Will

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

An Assignment can exist in different Modules. :For example, let's say that "Assignment A" will take two weeks. The instructor could put Assignment A in both the Week 1 and Week 2 Modules. It's just ONE ASSIGNMENT that appears in two different places. Therefore, if the instructor is in the Week 1 Module and makes a change to "Assignment A," that change will appear in the Week 2 Module.  Again, it's just one assignment.

Now, some instructors want students to do multiple assignments that follow the same format (e.g. Week 1 Reading Log, Week 2 Reading Log, Week 3 Reading Log.....) These will be DIFFERENT ASSIGNMENTS. Yes, they will follow the same format, but the Week 1 Reading Log will be housed in the Week 1 Module; the Week 2 Reading Log in the Week 2 Module, and so on.  Making a change to the Week 1 Reading Log will not affect the Week 2 Reading Log because these are different assignments.

If you want to set up multiple assignments that follow the same format, create your Week 1 Reading Log. Then duplicate the Week 1 Reading Log, but rename the new one the "Week 2 Reading Log." Now you will have two separate assignments.

View solution in original post