Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericwhitmer
Community Contributor

What are your thoughts on using Windows 10 in S Mode

I'm trying get the experience that most students are getting and I'm finding that I troubleshoot Canvas issues relating to Chromebooks and Windows 10 in S Mode. What are your thought on this version of Windows?

Thank you for your time.

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ericwhitmer , my office does tech support for students, including on their personal devices. One of the first things we end up needing to do is take their devices off of S Mode. In S Mode we can't download Chrome or Firefox or do any of the other things we need to do to help their computer function properly with Canvas (and their other courses/programs). As for Chromebooks, I know some people love them, but for our community college students, they don't seem to be able to do what the students need them to do, so it ends up being a waste of the student's money.

Just my two cents! Kona

ericwhitmer
Community Contributor

My next question for you then is, what are the limitations to using Microsoft Edge on Canvas? Also, Microsoft is rolling out a new version in the near future that is built on top of Chromium, will that make Canvas more compatible then?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

@ericwhitmer , greetings! I'm by no means an expert on this topic, but we STRONGLY (strong emphasis on STRONGLY) recommend that students and faculty do not use Edge or IE when using Canvas. Yes, sometimes they can get away with it, but if something wonky or weird happens, 95-99% of the time they are using Edge or IE (or are on their phones). 

As for Chromium, I have no idea! People could hypothesize about it being more compatible, but until it actually happens and we can test it, I'm not going to even guess either way.

Kona

ericwhitmer
Community Contributor

I just got myself the Surface Go just to try to put myself in the student's shoes and see how long I can last in S Mode. Thanks for your input.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

MargoDavis

The VPN service setting may block certain content from being displayed or data downloads from certain IPs. If this is a problem, temporarily disabling such services can help. Malware may have crept into your system. This can easily be fixed with any popular antivirus. Even Windows Defender should do the trick. If you are a fairly neat user, you should occasionally reinstall windows. I can advise you from my experience to buy Windows 10 license key. This is the final solution if nothing helps.

0 Kudos