Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily
Community Champion

What happened to Mastery Paths?

It used to be that when using mastery paths, if there was only one assignment option as a consequence of a mastery path, that would be assigned to the student automatically. So let's say, if the student fails Assignment 1, Mastery Paths automatically assigns Assignment 1 Retake to that student.

As of today (Aug 30, 2017), when the student fails, the retake isn't assigned until the student goes into Modules and clicks "Choose assignment path" and selects the (one) option available to them.

Is this a bug or a new feature? It actually really messes up the functionality for us. It's a whole lot of needless work for students to "select" the one option available, and now faculty can’t rely on the gradebook to tell us if students need to do the retake or not, because they don’t show up as “needing” the retake until students "opt-in." 

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@emily  , I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but I'm seeing some similar and strange things. I did a little research and the following student guide explains how to pick a path, implying this isn't a bug necessarily - How do I choose an assignment path in a module? Yet, I took a look at the following Instructor guide and it seemed to imply the only time this picking of a path would come up is if you have an OR option - How do I use MasteryPaths in course modules? 

Once a MasteryPath assignment has been graded (either automatically by Canvas or manually in SpeedGrader), the conditional item(s) will automatically display in the student’s Modules page based on the item’s scoring range.

If a MasteryPath assignment includes an Or option for students to choose their own content, they must choose an assignment path before proceeding.

Yet, this hasn't been my experience and I'm seeing what you are seeing.

If you haven't, turn this in to Canvas Support and then please come back and let me know your ticket number. I'm going to try to get in a ticket today as well and would like to add your ticket number information to my ticket; I'll also share my ticket information!

emily
Community Champion

Hi, Kona-

I did report this yesterday (I don't have a ticket number as all requests go through our local IT). Canvas Support did seem to think it was a bug.

It seems to be working as I'd expect today, that is, if there is only one "choice," then mastery paths assigns it automatically to students without requiring them to choose a path.

Thanks.

Emily   

Would love to know the outcome of this.  There was a change made several months ago to address an issue where students were not really given enough information when choosing assignments etc so it may be related to those improvements. If i remeber i will test and see if i get the same result. 

emily
Community Champion

It seems to be working as expected now. If a student receives a failing grade, the "retake" mastery path is assigned to them and tehy do NOT have to hand-select the option.

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

I submitted a help ticket yesterday because that's exactly what is happening in our MP scenarios: choice is being provisioned, but not when set up for choice and in situations in which there is only one conditional item (i.e. there is no choice because there's only one item in the conditional release path).

Mastery Paths = so much potential, but it's being compromised by buggy behavior.

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

Here's reply from support: 2017-11-02_0936 

Nice to know there's a fix, although it doesn't necessarily solve the underlying problem.