Why can I not add users by name?

Jump to solution
BrianCuthbert
Community Member

I am wanting to create a Canvas course for a club I am sponsoring at my school, but many of the students in the club are not in my classes. Because of this, I don't have easy access to their ID numbers, making it difficult to add them to my Canvas course. Why is there not an option to add people to a course by name? It seems that this would make it much easier to invite people when creating a course.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

@BrianCuthbert ...

Out of curiosity, are you using the FFT (Free For Teacher) version of Canvas, or does your school have a paid Canvas environment?  A FFT Canvas environment would have a URL of https://canvas.instructure.com/, and a paid Canvas environment would have a URL similar to https://SchoolName.instructure.com where SchoolName is the name of your school/college/university.  If you were using the FFT version, there may be several students with the same name, and so as I mentioned before, searching for that person based on name and then by some other unique identifier, might not be as easy as knowing a unique e-mail address, for example.  Again, most of the time, enrollments are handled by someone in the school's IT department who is a Canvas administrator...so having to enroll people manually in courses isn't really something that instructors have to be too concerned about.  I used to work at a Technical College in WI, and now I work for another College in MI.  Both schools have a process to upload students from their SIS (Student Information System) to Canvas which doesn't require going through the course "People" page...as there are other back-end ways to get students enrolled in the proper courses.

If you feel that adding students by name would be beneficial to the "People" area of a course, you could submit this as an Idea here in the Community so that folks could later vote on it and evaluate it.  There are a few documents for you to look through under the heading "Ideas and Themes" at: Instructure Community Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

To start your Idea, go to: Canvas Ideas and Themes - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) and click on the blue "View and Submit Ideas" button.  Then click on the blue "Submit an Idea" button.

Hope this will help in some way.

View solution in original post

0 Likes