cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lperry3
Community Participant

Why don't my items banks show up in either course as item banks? and How can I get those questions/items banks copied into my new SIS created canvas course?

Jump to solution

I created a Canvas course under my school district instance that they assigned me. However, they just connected to SIS Aspire and that sent me new courses. I tried to copy my course I designed over to the new SIS created course and everything looks great except my assignments created in quizzes next and my item banks did not transfer. When I try to manage my item banks to bookmark them for transfer in my course I created it shows no item banks. I go into assignments and then quizzes next and create a quiz and click on Item banks and it shows all 15 of my item banks and the hundreds of questions I have created. Why don't my items banks show up in either course as item banks? and How can I get those questions/items banks copied into my new SIS created canvas course? All my courses are on my same school district instance. This is so frustrating. Please help. I am thinking there are directory issues somewhere within Canvas. Another issue I have is that my outcomes show up under my outcomes tab but when I try to attach an outcome to a rubric or quiz they don't exist either. Again frustrating. I attached my screen shots of my question banks that exist but yet don't exist. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @lperry2 .  It really sounds as though the issue may relate to Canvas not recognizing that your new user account is the same as you old user account.  I am in no way an expert in how Google versus Microsoft IDs work in the feed of Canvas.  Have you tried to contact Canvas Support directly using one of the options in the question mark icon?  If not I would definitely do this.  They are great at being able to look at all the various data elements and figure out what may be going on.

New Quizzes does allow someone to share question banks with someone else (see How do I share an item bank in New Quizzes?).  Maybe if the old and new accounts are not connected fully there is a way that someone can go into the old account and share the question banks with your new account?  Just and idea that maybe Support could consider as well.

Please let us know how things go, but certainly contact Support!

All the best---

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

HI  @lperry2  and welcome to the Community!  I would suspect that what is happening has to do with how data is being fed to Canvas from the new SIS.  Have you checked with your IT department to see if any back end user information is different now that Aspire is connected?  The new quizzes question banks should be available to you in any course provided that it recognizes you are the same user.  Perhaps the same issue exists with outcomes.  Your IT department may have the most information on the move to Aspire but you might consider contacting Canvas Support as well and reporting your issue.  They might be able to look at the situation and see what is happening.  Unfortunately those of in the Community do have access to this type of data for other schools.

I am going to share this with the K-12‌ and Canvas Admins‌ user groups in hopes that someone may have converted to Aspire recently and worked through a similar problem.

I hope this gets resolved soon!

lperry3
Community Participant

Thank you for your help. I appreciate any help I can get. I will address it with the IT department but they are not very skilled as of yet with the Canvas process and linking SIS is a whole other level for them. Kind of going into this blind with no skilled help. It keeps stating unable to transfer assignments. The outcome issue is in all my classes, not just the SIS courses. However, I am the only one that has the issue in the district so I feel it was the way my account was set up or something else that I don't have access to fix. I just don't want to have to start over creating my 96 hours worth of work I put into the course to lose it all over a silly grade book conversion. Again thank you

lperry3
Community Participant

Update to my situation. My Outcomes still show up in outcomes but when you want to attach them to rubric or quiz they suddenly don't exist anymore. My course assignments that I copied from another course I had before SIS have been added to my courses but they have no content in them because the items banks don't show as existing except when you are in the quizzes next instance. I am probably not making any sense. I know my district had the Canvas set up using google ID's but then when they used SIS they used microsoft ID's. Then they merged them somehow and I am not sure but I think how the Canvas was set up is what might be causing the issue. I do not know if this can even be resolved. Any insight would be great. 

Hi  @lperry2 .  It really sounds as though the issue may relate to Canvas not recognizing that your new user account is the same as you old user account.  I am in no way an expert in how Google versus Microsoft IDs work in the feed of Canvas.  Have you tried to contact Canvas Support directly using one of the options in the question mark icon?  If not I would definitely do this.  They are great at being able to look at all the various data elements and figure out what may be going on.

New Quizzes does allow someone to share question banks with someone else (see How do I share an item bank in New Quizzes?).  Maybe if the old and new accounts are not connected fully there is a way that someone can go into the old account and share the question banks with your new account?  Just and idea that maybe Support could consider as well.

Please let us know how things go, but certainly contact Support!

All the best---

View solution in original post