ZOOM recordings, can students download

Jump to solution
dwendland
Community Member

Once a ZOOM cloud recording has been 'Published' in Canvas, do students have the ability to download the recording?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @dwendland ...

I just tested this in my own sandbox course in Canvas.  We have the new Zoom Pro LTI integrated with our Canvas environment.  I recorded a short zoom session, and then it eventually appeared in my "Cloud Recordings".  I then masqueraded as a dummy student in my sandbox course.  I navigated to the Zoom course navigation button, and then I clicked on the "Cloud Recordings" tab.  There are two files to watch/hear.  When I click on the video to watch it, I am taken to a Zoom page where I can watch the video.  In the upper right corner is a "Download" link.  So, yes, it does seem that students can download the recording to their computer (video: *.mp4 ... audio: *.m4a).

I hope this helps, Dawn.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

I am also looking for a way to block students from downloading Zoom Cloud Recordings from the embedded Zoom link in Canvas.

It appears that by default, and without any control, there is a download button next to each Zoom file. How can we remove that button, as well as stop downloads when students are viewing the recorded session?

I have gone to the general Zoom site and set the Sharing permissions on a given recording to NOT allow downloading, but even that does not stop the Canvas links from being available to download.

View solution in original post