a teacher and a student

Jump to solution
GreggMiles
Community Member

I teach a media methods classfor future teachers where I use Canvas. Therefore the students have their "Student" Canvas account. 

One of the assignments I would like to do is to have them create a Canvas course to prepare them for this virtual k-12 world....

The only way I have found that they can do it is to create a separate Canvas account using a different email for each. One for my course and another for the assignment.

Please tell me there is a better way

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @GreggMiles Thanks for posting in the Community.

Looking into your question it looks like this would be based on permissions inside of Canvas. Students do not have the permission to create courses, generally. 

Each institution has their own procedures for creation of courses. These Courses for student development could potentially be created for these users in your instance of canvas, however, you would need to look at your institution and their procedures for creating sandbox courses for users. i would suggest potentially reaching out to your admin about their procedures for creating sandbox courses for users. 

Right now, without getting help from the administrator we would need to have them create a separate Canvas account in the free instance to be able to create courses and be a teacher of those courses. So it sounds like you are doing that correctly right now. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post