access to new canvas page formatting on old canvas site

Jump to solution
karfken
Community Member

I am an instructor and I created a canvas site for our theatre production work that is several years old.  I really like the new canvas tools for pages - such as the ability to insert a horiztonal line.  Is there a way that I can upgrade our current site to allow us to access these new formatting tools? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @karfken ...

It sounds like you are referring to the New Rich Content Editor (New RCE) within Canvas.  Not all schools have switched over to utilize the New RCE just yet.  Your school might be one of these schools that hasn't made the transition.  You'd want to have a conversation with people at your school such as a local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to see what the plans are to activate the New RCE in your school's Canvas environment.  But, I can also tell you that the New RCE will be available for everyone on January 16, 2021 ... according to this document: Upcoming Canvas Changes - Canvas Community.  It's entirely possible that your school is just waiting for this date when everyone will have access to the New RCE.  Again, you'll want to check with folks at your school about this.

Also, by the way, if you are comfortable editing HTML code, you can already add a horizontal line in your pages with the current Rich Content Editor.  This isn't a new capability specific to the New RCE.  In order to do this, you'll need to switch over to the HTML view of your page that you are editing.  How do I use the HTML view in the Rich Content Edi... - Canvas Community.  Then, you can put in a small bit of HTML code between your paragraphs or content...similar to this:

HorizontalRule.jpg

The example in the following page should also work in your Canvas course: HTML hr tag.

I hope this will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post