cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julian_ebeli
Community Participant

course self-enrollment url is not visible

Jump to solution

My course is not displaying the self-enrollment url.

It should be just under the 'fewer options' switch.

What is the cause of this? And what is the solution?

When I created the new course it was there, after I copied content into it, it was gone.

It is also not present in the source course.

I tried this trick https://canvas/api/v1/courses/[course_id]?include[]=self_enrollment_code.

It says: "self_enrollment_code": null

self-enrollment-url is missingself-enrollment-url is missing

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @julian_ebeli ...

According to the information in the blue box at the top of this Guide, if that option is not available in your course, you may need to reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to have further discussions about this.  How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

Also, on your course "Settings" page, is there anything displayed in the "SIS ID" field?  If so, then your school may have set up the course to handle enrollments directly from your SIS (Student Information System) rather than via self-enrollment.  That would also be a conversation you'd want to have with your Canvas admin.  I *think* if you remove the text from this field, then the self-enrollment option would display.  But, again, you'd want to have some conversations with folks at your school before you try this option.

I hope this will help a bit.  Reach out to Community members if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @julian_ebeli ...

According to the information in the blue box at the top of this Guide, if that option is not available in your course, you may need to reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to have further discussions about this.  How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?

Also, on your course "Settings" page, is there anything displayed in the "SIS ID" field?  If so, then your school may have set up the course to handle enrollments directly from your SIS (Student Information System) rather than via self-enrollment.  That would also be a conversation you'd want to have with your Canvas admin.  I *think* if you remove the text from this field, then the self-enrollment option would display.  But, again, you'd want to have some conversations with folks at your school before you try this option.

I hope this will help a bit.  Reach out to Community members if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

julian_ebeli
Community Participant

@chofer Thanks it was the sis id.

Removed it and the link re-appeared.

I use the sis id to help me group courses even though they are not provisioned by sis.

I'll have to rethink this practice.

cheers

julian_ebeli
Community Participant

PS. Can anyone find the documentation for this?

Add SIS ID lose Self-enrollment.

I couldn't

I've not found documentation on this, either.  If you want, using the linked Guide that I gave you earlier, you could provide feedback to the Canvas Documentation Team for improvements to that Guide.  At the bottom of the Guide, below the two red buttons, you'll find a link to "share your feedback".  They will review your feedback.  I know they welcome any feedback from us to help make their Guides more clear for people.  🙂

julian_ebeli
Community Participant

I did what you said and added feedback to the docs.

Thanks for the advise.

As always these innocuous little things are really workflow bugs.

In this case the app (Canvas) is making a judgement about SIS enroll v self enroll without controlling the interface properly.

SIS provisioning is not created by giving a course a SIS ID otherwise the +People button should also disappear right?

Like who is going to add people manually to a course that has a SIS ID and is presumably getting its people via SIS provisioning?

There is no necessary conection between a course having a SIS ID and it being provisioned by SIS.

I (mis)use SIS IDs to group courses into categories so I can find them easier.

I also (mis)use terms to do the same thing.

Cheers