fractions in quizzes

Jump to solution
SWANSSE
Community Member

I'm building a quiz on the topic of fractions. I don't want to use multiple choice, so students have to enter the exact numeric answer. However, the builder does not have a fraction tool nor will it accept "1/4" as a number. Is there anything that can be done about this? My school requires us to use Canvas, and I'm a math teacher. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @SWANSSE ...

My guess is that @KristinL wanted to know which version of the Canvas quizzing engine you were using so that she could provide the best solution for you.  I don't think she was trying to avoid answering your question.

I do have a possible solution for you, however.  Thanks for sharing your screenshot in a separate reply.  This helps us know that you are using New Quizzes instead of Classic Quizzes.  Rather than using a "Numeric" question type, I would like you to try using a "Fill in the Blank" question type instead.  (I know it may sound weird...but just hang with me here.)  How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in New Quizzes?

I created a question similar to yours in my own sandbox course.  It looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-09-08 170516.jpg

Notice that I added an additional line in the question for "Your answer" ... which is what students would see.  Then, I put the fraction in backticks (the character just to the left of the number 1 key on your top row of numbers on your keyboard).  Then, I selected the "Text Match" option to "Exact Match".  This means that students would have to type in:

1/4

In this next screen shot, this is what it looks like once you are finished editing the question in your New Quiz:

Screenshot 2022-09-08 170553.jpg

And this is what the question would look like from a student perspective:

Screenshot 2022-09-08 170617.jpg

What do you think of this option?  Would it meet your needs?  It accomplishes exactly what you are looking for...but it's just not using the "Numeric" question type...since those do not appear to accept fractions as possible answers.

Hope this will help!  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post