quiz issues

Jump to solution
JessicaHaggard
Community Member

every time i try to take a quiz it logs me in after proctoria is signed in and then says waiting for canvas. my exam starts and my time runs out but i never see questions it just says waiting for canvas

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@JessicaHaggard 

You definitely need to let your teacher (and potentially tech-support at your institution) know about this. We may be able to provide guidance about how to get Canvas to work, but your teacher likely won't see this message. This is a global community of users of the Canvas software and we don't have any direct association with your school (most of us will have no clue what school you go to). In other words, telling us that you're having problems won't make it's way back to your school and your teacher may just think you didn't take the quiz.

We encourage our faculty to have a demo quiz before the real one so that students can make sure Proctorio is working properly before they take the real quiz.

It sounds like you may have some browser cookie or extension issues. Browsers are getting more and more picky about third-party cookies because they can be used to track people. Firefox, especially, is big on privacy.

If you're using Chrome, one thing to look for is an eyeball end of the location (URL). An eye with a line through it means that third-party cookies are being blocked. You can click on that and enable third-party cookies for a few months (then it resets itself). Canvas just posted a message about how great their cookie support is because they all use the same domain, but that other parties aren't as modern as they are. They didn't mention anyone by name, but I've had to enable third-party cookies and add some of their domains to my allowed-list just to get Canvas to work right.

Although not a thing you want to mess with when you're taking a real quiz, you might try switching to a private or incognito window in your browser. That has the effect of disabling many extensions, some of which can cause problems with software. As much as I dislike people snooping on what I'm doing, I've disabled my adblocker software on the Canvas sites to make things load faster (and my eyeball doesn't have a line through it).

I didn't really find much on the Proctorio website for troubleshooting. They just kind of expect that it will work without people having any trouble. Their support page says that offer support via their live chat by clicking the extension icon at the top of browser before, during, or after the exam.

Canvas has support here in the Community that you can use to make sure you're computer and browsers are going to work. It also talks about browser plugins and extensions as well as enabling third-party cookies.

View solution in original post

0 Likes