Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fpiron

students have over a year to submit assignments!

I copied a course and made sure it started Sept. 5, 2019.  I clicked "adjust dates" for assignments, as I have done in the past.  Yet, deadlines are showing the following school year, 2020-21. Advice?

7 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @fpiron 

I stopped using that date adjustment feature in course copy several years ago, but what seems to be key, is making sure that you set start and end dates for the course you are copying into. This creates the time-frame in which Canvas can make the adjustments. This guide cover it fairly well How do I adjust events and due dates in a course import? 

Our perhaps, you set your course copy up while in a TARDIS  Image result for Tardis\

Actually, these weird little bugs with due dates on course copy are why I quit using that functionality - the adjustments took as long as it would take to just create new due dates, and was more error prone.

Kelley

pmartinez

Hello Francoise Piron and welcome to the Canvas Community! I've listed below a few troubleshooting resource docs that may be useful in reference to your question:

How do I create an assignment? 

What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates? 

What assignment types can I create in a course? 

Please do let us know if you need further assistance or if this was helpful. Thanks!

Thank you for the prompt response, Kelley!  I used that feature last year when copying a course and had no trouble.  I know I set the start date as Sept. 5, 2019, so it is puzzling that it didn't work the same way.  That being said, would you recommend that I delete the new course and copy last year's course again but this time without the dates?  

You could delete the course and start over again,  @fpiron —or, you might want to take advantage of this awesome Canvancement (it's a user script and easy to install): Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page

OMG no,  @fpiron  I would never recommend that you create that much extra work for yourself! Although clean-up might be just as much work.  I will tell you that if it was me, I would just reset and re-import.

stefaniesanders has offered a really great option and one that is worth trying.

It really depends on the numbers of graded items in your course: if you have lots and lots of them, then the Canvancement would be a good option, even a wipe-n-dipe would work (reset the content); although a rest comes with certain challenges.  Many users do not understand that a course reset actually creates a new course, and this can have an impact on certain LTIs (Panopto is a great example). If you are certain nothing else would be impacted, then try a reset.

If you have few assignments, then simply edit the due dates.

I have no idea why it didn't work the first time, but that just seems to be the way of IT - it just doesn't work some times.

Kelley

Thanks for that massive reminder! Just had a similar situation where content from one course was accidentally imported into the wrong course. The Reset button did the trick - HUGE timesaver!

Hi  @GideonWilliams  I love reset, even if as an Admin I consider it one of the most dangerous buttons in a Canvas course.

My partner in crime was new to Commons when she did her first import from Commons. She misread the purpose of "All courses" (something we've seen many examples of in this Community), and so the downloaded Commons course was added to every one of her courses. As a Canvas Admin herself, she had hundreds of courses. 

We soon figured out that the easiest clean-up was to simply wipe-n-dipe all of them, go into our Beta instance and create export files for all of those courses, then import those into her Production courses. Still a huge tedious job, but I think Reset made it as easy as it could be made. Well, easiest might have been to just have Canvas Services roll them back for us, but............................ you know, who wants to broadcast that you did something like that.

Kelley