Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Releases Q&A: 2021-11-20 Assignments (Submission Feedback Indicator)

Looking to discuss this feature from the 2021-11-20 Release Notes? Post a reply and start a conversation!

POSTING GUIDELINES
  • This topic is for feature discussion only—please share use cases, best practices, etc. regarding this feature
  • Please thread replies as much as possible to keep posts organized

WHERE SHOULD I POST...?

• Idea enhancement feedback to product managers should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)
  • Bug reports should be submitted to Canvas Support—bugs will not be triaged in this thread

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
bhaus

I am receiving notifications for update, but the site indicates no info/no screencast that is available yet.

0 Kudos
kirsten_ryall
Community Member

I love the idea of making instructor feedback more visible to students. I still feel this is very easy for a student to miss though. And only shows for new comments, so once the comment has been viewed, the indicator disappears. I believe that is by design. I am 100% no expert on this but I wonder if there is a better way to do it. I'm going to share with the UX designers on my team and get their feedback too.

0 Kudos

Hi, @kirsten_ryall 

Just for reference, one of our engineers put together this solution to assist students until the full solution is created as part of the Assignment Enhancements project. I'd recommend joining that user group if you aren't already so you can share thoughts once Jody announces work on that feature there.

Thanks!

Erin

degensp28
Community Member

Three pieces of feedback of varying usefulness to the community:

Suggestion: Annotations done by the instructor for feedback need a Notification students can turn on.
Suggestion: These blue dots should show up in the Grades area so students don't need to click into the assignment to see them. I am under the impression that students who are not seeing feedback are not making it this far then giving up.

Testing observation: The blue dots are appearing inconsistently. I would submit a screenshot, but it is just the absence of the dot. After some testing I am unable to determine why the blue dot will appear sometimes, but not others.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
r_v_jones
Community Member

I'm seeing something strange with this, as it appears to work with an open rubric where teachers enter comments but not one where rubrics have pre-set criteria.

I don't see the blue dot appearing at all for any form of comments in the doc viewer from my testing

0 Kudos

@r_v_jones Check to see if the course has the Feature "Assignment Enhancements" enabled. If so, disable it. Then what you see (as a student) should match the screen shots shown in the release notes.

@erinhmcmillan It might be helpful to include in the notes that this update is for assignments where the Assignment Enhancements feature is disabled.

@Sylvia_Ami Thanks, we discovered this too. I think adding a comment on the release notes to this effect would be advisable 

0 Kudos
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

This functionality is a known issue: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Known-Issues/OPEN-Feedback-indicator-does-not-populate-for-studen...

@Sylvia_Ami we don't mention assignment enhancements as an exception in the regular notes as it is not generally available; all features for that feature are still housed in the user group intentionally. Therefore you are correct; it doesn't work with assignment enhancements yet.

Thanks!

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

As an update, our engineers have confirmed that DocViewer is not configured to support this change in the beta environment. However, they have confirmed it is functional in the production environment. Therefore you'll be able to see the feedback indicator in the production environment as of Saturday, 20 November.

We've closed the associated known issue to also reflect that information.

Thanks,

Erin

0 Kudos