mp4 and Folio

Jump to solution
GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

I tried to upload an mp4 file to Canvas portfolios - Folio but told that it was not possible. Kind of assumed that this was the standard video format. Makes this quite challenging when students want to upload evidence from mobile devices.

So I'm now at a slight loss. What video format is now acceptable, how easily will it be to convert?

Also, will future iterations of the folio make this possible?

0 Likes
1 Solution
joe_fahs
Community Participant

Hello @GideonWilliams 

it is correct (and disappointing) that mp4 video (or any video format) cannot be uploaded to a Canvas ePortfolios project as explained on this page (How to I embed media in a project). If students want to share videos they have created, they would link to their media hosted on a platform such as YouTube. If your school uses Canvas Studio, then students can share their Studio videos publicly and paste the link into a project Paste a link option.  YouTube has the advantage of embedding the video into a Project page/slide but again it would have to be hosted in a YouTube account.

In conversation with Canvas last year there seemed promise of adding the Rich Content Editor (which allows mp4 videos to be uploaded and embedded) to Canvas ePortfolios but I don't see anything on the Roadmap and at this time would be pleasantly surprised if it did happen. 

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Likes