Sharing Canvas Studio Collection Major Issue

Jump to solution
cmidyett15
Community Explorer

I have no idea what the problem is with Canvas Studio Collections. I had a bunch of videos that students had commented on and I was trying to put them into collections. When I created the collections and shared them with the students, for some reason the students couldn't view the videos in the collection. So, to trouble shoot. I deleted the videos and thought they would appear in the collection after. That was absolutely not the case. The videos still didn't show up in the shared collection and now I've deleted the videos and comments forever and can't get them back. Absolute garbage feature for the sharing collections. What's the point of sharing collections if the videos can't even be accessed? I don't know if this was a glitch in the system or if anyone else had these problems, but I am so frustrated. I was planning on using the comments for a later activity and now I can't because I deleted the videos and can't recover. Canvas Studio Custom Sharing Groups @VH2020 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @cmidyett15 ...

I am sorry to read that you are having issues with Canvas Studio and Collections.  I'm not sure that I have a solid answer for you, but maybe some of these things will help.  As you may know, Collections are essentially folder that you can create in your Studio library to organize your videos that you either create on your own or add from YouTube/Vimeo.  When you say your students had commented on the videos, I assume that you had embedded one or more videos from your Studio library into your course and kept the option for the commenting feature below the video enabled.  How do I embed Canvas Studio media in a Canvas cou... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) (See the section on "Select Embed Options" and the associated screenshot to "Display Media Tabs".)  I could be totally wrong on this, but I am not so sure that sharing a single video or a collection with one or more students in your course would also allow them to see those comments on your videos.  When you were trying to move your videos into the Collections folders you created, were you following the steps in this Guide?  How do I move media to a collection in Canvas Stud... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  Then, when you shared the Collection, were you following the information in this Guide?  How do I share a collection in Canvas Studio? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  Again, even if you did all that, I'm not 100% sure that your students would be able to see those comments.  The reason I say this is because in this last Guide that I linked to, I don't see anything (specifically looking at the blue box at the top of the Guide) that indicates comments would be viewable by folks you want to share the Collection/videos with.  Even if you had set the permissions to allow people to edit the Collection/videos, I'm still not sure that would allow them to see comments.  It's interesting to note, though, that if people did have editing rights, they would be able to see the Insights on the video to see who watched the video and what parts of the video were watched.  That's different than reading the comments on the videos, though.

I realize much of this is my own speculation, and so if anyone has different experiences than what I've stated above, I'd be happy to learn more as well.  For now, I hope some of this information has been of help to you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes