cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Release Notes (2020-06-20)

Catalog Release Notes (2020-06-20)

In this Catalog release, Catalog accounts include an option to sync Canvas enrollment changes and allow or block domains for Catalog registration.

Catalog release notes indicate features and updates that are currently available in the Catalog beta environment. These updates will be available in production environments on the date indicated by the release notes.

Canvas Catalog is an all-in-one learning solution that integrates with the Canvas LMS as a course registration system, payment gateway, and learning platform. Learn more about Canvas Catalog.

Updated Features

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Catalogs

Canvas Enrollment Sync

Catalog accounts can be set to sync Canvas enrollment changes. This change allows accounts to correctly sync enrollment data when enrollments are added or removed from Canvas. This change also benefits listings that have enabled the waitlist feature and provides consistency between a user’s dashboard and Catalog’s enrollment data.

This option is located in the Catalog Info page. By default, this option is disabled and is not available within subcatalogs.

Note: If instructors are allowed to enroll users directly in Canvas, enabling this feature may affect enrollments for paid listings. When the Sync option is enabled, enrolling a user in Canvas will sync the enrollment into Catalog and bypass the payment process.

Catalog Info tab Sync Canvas Enrollment Changes to Catalog option

Related Community Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13478-accurate-enrollments-in-catalog-to-reflect-canvas 

Registration Email Domain Restrictions

Catalog accounts include an option to allow or block domains for Catalog registration. This change allows accounts to manage domains where users can register for a Catalog account. This option is located in the Catalog Info page. By default, this option is set to None.

Catalog Info tab showing Restrictions on Registration Email Domains option

If registration restrictions are set to Allowed, domains can be entered that are allowed for registration.

Catalog Restrictions on Registration Email Domains Allowed Option with Domain Field

If registration restrictions are set to Blocked, domains can be entered that are blocked for registration.

Catalog Restrictions on Registration Email Domains Blocked Option with Domain Field

Subcatalogs
Subcatalogs inherit the same domain registration restrictions as set for the main Catalog account, unless restrictions are also set for a specific subcatalog.

Registration Email Domains at the subaccount level

Comments

If a person paid for a course in Catalog if they are dropped from the course or removed from the course in Canvas will a refund appear in the Transactions Analytics? https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11740-have-refunds-appear-in-canvas-catalog-analytics or will the analytics still be positive transactions? Please see the following enhancements/feature ideas to these release notes:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/17069-registration-restrictions-by-canvas-catalog-listing 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/17070-canvas-enrollment-sync-work-with-canvas-catalog-refunds 

Hi, Jessica,

There's no activity involved with transactions. So those feature ideas will remain as is unless the team picks them up for future work.

Thanks!

Erin

I am wondering is the domain allow/blocking linked to the way users log in or is it tied to the primary email address of the user in Canvas?  For example, since we use SSO for Catalog our users all log in via the same SSO, but users with IU guest accounts still have their personal email associated with them.  So essentially i just want to confirm SSO users can still use this as i think this is a great feature addtion.

Thank you.

Last I got told it was affiliated with a individual's email address such as gmail.com.

I see the Canvas Sync option activated over the weekend but do not see the block domains option. Anyone else see it in their instance? I thought this was June 20th release.

It is now turned on. I had an issue with the sync feature not syncing from Canvas so I submit a ticket. I would suggest checking it.

Regarding the Catalog Enrollment sync, the notes say "By default, this option is disabled and is not available within subcatalogs."

I see the setting in the root account catalog. If I turn it on, will it still sync Canvas course enrollments that are associated with the subcatalogs? Could there be unexpected negative consequences of turning it on?

Hi Melinda,

If the subcatalog is associated with the parent then it will sync information from the subcatalog. For example, I tested in Beta with a Division of Information subcatalog but the feature was turned on at the root and the analytics appeared. I hope this makes sense. I think what it is saying is the feature is not available in subcatalogs but it does sync all catalogs.

Jessica

Hi makraft@umich.edu,

I have confirmed what I wrote previously is correct.

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

By any chance do you know if (once Enrollment Sync is toggled on) the syncs are immediate after each enrollment? How often does it sync?

It should be as often as the enrollments come in but it currently isn't working and has been reported to Instructure.

Awesome; thank you for that information. I turned it on this morning and was wondering why it was not working.

You're welcome.

I would recommend for you to report that it is not working as well.

The sync feature is now working.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎06-01-2020 10:10 AM
Updated by: